Thursday, March 15, 2018

zero to four in less than an afternoon



Hola! It's Spring Break and I finally had my first trip out of town!

"Well, good for you! Down to Daytona Beach?"

No, I only went to Richmond Hill.

"Umm... Richmond Hill? Well, okay. Do they have a circus in town or something?"

No, they don't, but apparently my friend Josie does. That's why she had to stand me up today.

"You're talking about Josie from high school days, right? Since when does she run a circus?"

That's the right Josie and I guess I misspoke. Her life is a bit of a three-ring affair, but she doesn't actually have a circus.

"Whatever. You and she were to have dined at this Jalapenos? What were you having, slunch? :-) "

Why, yes, exactly! I was so pleased that I had arrived just a little early for a change. Not that early was of any benefit, as it turned out. You know, since she didn't make it.

"I'm sure she had a good reason. And you know, I'm surprised you didn't contact her to double-check, like you did last week."

Yeah, I really should have. But I didn't want her to think I was trying to beg off again, like I did last Thursday. That's why I just went ahead and drove out here. To Richmond Hill.

"I see. So you're trying to take on some of the guilt here..."

No, I don't think I am... well, maybe just a little. It's hard to place any blame on her, given her circumstances...

"For real? Okay, why don't you run by me her reason for ditching you. Then I'll decide who should be feeling guilt."

Hey, no reason to get snarky.

"(Sigh.) Fine. Just tell me."

Well, she had an excellent reason. I really can't go into the details, but I can tell you that children are involved. It really reminds me of the situation that Christina has going on. No, wait, it reminds me greatly of the situation which led to my little sister Susie ending up with three siblings, out there in San Diego.

"Oh, my. That's pretty horrible. For those kids, their little brother had died from the mom's drugs."

Correct. For Josie, the upshot is this: she went from zero kids to having four of them in the space of Monday afternoon. Two are directly related to her, but the four are siblings. The judge told her she could take all of them... or they would all four go to foster homes.

"So she took in all four."

That she did.

"Well... okay then. At least you had a nice drive..."

That I did. And now I'll be able to join Christina and her family at Olive Garden, to celebrate her 35th birthday.
Right place, right time, after all.

"i thank You, God, for this blessing."

No comments: