Friday, March 9, 2018

shine bright like a diamond


This was opening night for the third play of the sixth season for the Collective Face Ensemble...
and I felt a disconnect with the entire proceedings.
Considering their theme -
marginalized measures -
for this quartet of plays,
perhaps that was to be expected.

We had all been encouraged
to dress in keeping with the
1920's time period.
I had briefly considered doing so, but the weather has turned chilly again - so I abstained.
Barbara had donned a flapper-esque dress and accessories, while Sandy had on a flashy top and necklace.
With mocktail Lime Rickey in hand,
as well as hand-held signage,
we were captured by the camera.

Pardon my lackaDaisycal attitude, old sport, but all of this glitz wasn't hitting it for me.
(Get it? For this inside joke,
kindly refer to the book.)
As I said, I felt disconnected.
Shine bright like a diamond
came unbidden to mind.
Was that the intended message?
All of this glamour and glitter on the surface simply concealed the metamorphic - and common -
carbon rock beneath?
If so, then kudos to the director!
David Poole has repeatedly proved himself to be talented at presenting hidden messages within his productions.
In particular, this season has had added depth in their stagings.
Jesus Christ and his disciples as ordinary men of their times...
Elwood and Harvey walking a straight path through a multi-hued world gone mad...
And now, all the 'pretty' people swirling in the shimmering vortex around a faker...


Then again, perhaps I am guilty of looking for depths in the void.
After all, I prefer opals, with their near-hidden fire, to the shallow glints of diamonds.

No comments: