Saturday, March 17, 2018

all the parade, none of the parking problems!


I had awakened early - well, early for me -
so I could make sure I had my cup of coffee in hand
for the start of the 194th Saint Patrick's Day Parade.
This year, for the first time since Jimmy Carter was
President, the White House had a delegation in our seaport. I guess they wanted Vice President Mike Pence to judge for himself about our parade's size.
I like that he brought his mom.
(smile)

The City of Savannah had specially decorated our
City Hall, right there on Bay Street.
The city's government workers had spent the
early morning hours decorating the building
with streams of patriotic bunting.
That certainly made it pretty -
and almost hearkened back to a time
more than a century ago.
The copper dome even looks like it's brand new!
One can only imagine the spiffy interiors!
Looks like all met with the VP's desires!
He and his crew, including the many Secret Service agents,
had an unencumbered view for the entire parade.
So did I, really, and in the comfort of my own home -
clad in my warm bathrobe, coffee in hand -
thanks to two local TV stations.
(Shout outs to WSAV and WTOC!)
(smile)
Not that either of them had this shot.
My thanks to Sue Gorecki - my Boomer buddy -
for catching it and posting on fb for all to see.

Now, this photo is all mine!
Here we have the Crimson Symphonic Sound Machine,
as they are now calling themselves.
I kid you not!
As for me, I always knew them as the
HV Jenkins High School Marching Band.
Guess the musicians wanted to dress it up
a notch!

Here are those world-renowned Clydesdales!
Budweiser certainly has them prettied up, too!
And guess what?
The horses have names like Bubba and Duke
and Captain and Mark.
There are eight on a team, too -
just like for Santa's sleigh!
Don't be looking for a red-nosed Clydesdale here -
the weather was so mild, no one even needed a jacket
under those crystal blue skies!
(Not until later... spoiler alert!)

What would the Irish parade be without
girls in curls dancing the jig?
Honestly, I ask you: what would it be?
Well, it certainly would not feel authentic!
But since when is this blue Irish?
Let me give you a history lesson:
the first flag which flew over Eire
bore these self-same hues!
(Hey, I learned that from the announcer!)

What else does a good Irish parade need?
Men in kilts!
Men in kilts with bagpipes!
Men in kilts with bagpipes and tabors!
Did this parade in this port town have them?
Great oogly-googly yes!
At least half a dozen kilt-clad clans
of men marching and swinging their hips!

How about global celebrities?
It's always nice to have one or two
of those, nach bhfuil sé?
You bet it is!
Especially if that global-body has
local ties, like Gator Rivers
here!
You certainly cannot get more international
than a Harlem Globetrotter, either!

What else, what else...
Oh, I know!
Beauty queens, doing that 'princess wave'
as they smile atop a float!
How very cool that some local color -
St. Johns, as we call it -
served as the backdrop for this shot.
Such a gracious old charmer!

Here's another global entity with local ties!
It's Cheryl Haworth, weightlifting winner for the USA
of the bronze medal at the 2000 Olympics!
She was also on the US Olympic team in 2004
and 2008 - incredible presence and so very nice!
(She went to school with my first niece, too!)
She's being interviewed by Natalie Hendrix,
former beauty queen, current news staff.

Woohoo! Hey sailor!
(smile!)
Every parade must have at least one military band -
I think it may be a law!
This parade had several, but I admit to
being partial to a sea-going man -
especially a good trombonist!
Oh, be still my beating heart!
(smile!)

I may become partial to these guys, too -
they're the Eagle Battalion ROTC!
Operating as part of the 6th Brigade, they are
home-based at Georgia Southern, so I'll no doubt
be seeing quite a bit of them.
That's fine by me!
Nice to see Freedom in the parade, too!
(He's the real eagle to the left of the banner.)

Hey, is this guy on he wrong planet?
Not today!
The kilted Stormtrooper - of "Star Wars" fame -
was marching with the Rebel Legion,
shaking hands and kissing babes -
oh, you know he was!
And they were kissing right back!
(wink, wink!)

However, here's the high point for me -
this saber-swashing, belly-dancing sheik!
Of all the Shriners in all the floats
in all the parades in this port city,
these men of the Oriental Band
really make my day!
Speaking of day, it's time for me to do something
other than watch the telly.

The three-hour parade is over and I am off to... who knows where?
Later, y'all!
(smile)

No comments: