Saturday, March 3, 2018

plethora of plays, part 2


"Hold On" a minute, where was I?
Oh, yes - starting a round of new entertainment on Thursday,
including a free-to-me concert
and two new plays!
Stayin' Alive Canada - the Bee Gees tribute band - sang for more than two hours last night!
(Thanks to my ushering the event
at the Lucas, I was able to keep
the $62 fee in my pocket.)
What a blessing for me!
And what a joy to be there,
singing and dancing along with
so many tunes from my youth!
"How Deep Is Your Love", "Too Much Heaven", "I Started A Joke", "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart", "Massachusetts", "Words",
"To Love Somebody"!
I am especially fond of that last one.
I found out tonight that Barry and Robin Gibb had written it specifically for Otis Redding to sing.
Tragically, the 26-year-old bluesman never got the chance.
What a hit it would have been with his soulful voice!
Not that it wasn't a hit -
the Bee Gees made sure of that!
And Stayin' Alive Canada sang it beautifully, too!
They did "Stayin' Alive" beautifully, as well, along with "Nights On Broadway", "The Woman In You", "Boogie Child", and, probably my most favorite song of theirs,
"You Should Be Dancing"!
I guess that one from 1976 should
be my theme song!
Everyone was up on their feet, too, moving to the beat - hooray!
What a way to end the show!

Then, I bounced - literally! - over to Betty Bombers
to join my dear rogue!
That's right, Joe was in town working on his parents' rental.
Fine by me! It matters not the reason for his visit,
just that he was here in Savannah again!
His coworker, Scott, took the photo - good job, right?
I look like I'm about eighteen in this shot.
Guess that's from being in a time warp back to 1976!
(smile!)
Carolyn even came out and joined us!
What a way to end the evening!

This afternoon found me in
a twilit forest.
Not literally, of course!
The Savannah Children's Theatre
had transformed their black box
for the sake of "Stellaluna".
Such a delightful musical for
young children... and older children like me, too!
Not familiar with the young bat?
Check out "Reading Rainbow"'s read-aloud rendition of the book.
Then see if you can find the musical!

I ended my night at Plaza Suite 719.
Yes, the decor is rather familiar.
That's because it's the sanctuary at my church!
The Asbury Memorial Theatre presented this three-act Neil Simon play, set at the famous hotel.
Comedy?
Drama?
Romance?
Well, as that playwright tends to combine all three, there's
something for everyone here!
From lost love to young love,
newlywed to almost-divorced,
various aspects of marriage are
explored and celebrated.
As for me, I served as a parking lot attendant for
the show - so my ticket was free!
That's the first time I've volunteered for that,
but it surely will not be the last!
(smile)

3 comments:

Peace Guy said...

Joe Guy
March 3, 2018 at 4:08pm

It was great to see you, too.

TX Lorrie said...

Lorretta Ruggiero
March 3, 2018 at 3:16pm

Are you reverse aging?

Dood said...

Tony E Smith
March 3, 2018 at 6:29pm

Great picture, Tina