Thursday, March 15, 2018

my first niece is a speed limit



I ask you: does she look like she could possibly be thirty-five years old?
And yet, she is, as of today.
I was stationed in San Diego, at my last duty station, when she was born.
Her mother was in labor for most of a day.
How do I recall that so well?
When Mama called me with the news, she told me she was glad I would never go through that.
That was the first time she had ever referenced my decision to have a tubal ligation a year earlier, while I was still in Okinawa.
Honestly, it was a relief that she had accepted it at last.
I had known she supported my choice, and I was glad of that support. But I knew she had not agreed with my choice for the surgery.
Then, she did.
i thank You, God.

i thank You, God, that I was able to be with my first niece tonight.
That wasn't how my day was looking earlier, but circumstances changed.
That meant that I was there to watch as she shared her birthday treat with my great-nieces. That's Alyssa in her lap. Leila is in Chelsea's arms, mouth open for the ice cream. See that dab of white by Christina's chin?
(smile)
i thank You, God, that Melinda has always taken care to include me in family plans.
She truly is the best outlaw I have!
(smile)

No comments: