Wednesday, November 7, 2018

mercury

Do I speak of the element?
After all, I did just recently return from the chemistry nerds conference, so quicksilver might well be on my mind.
The element is unique in that it is the only metal which is liquid at room temperature.
But that isn't the mercury on my mind.

Do I speak of the pigeon used to relay secret messages?
That bird was quite impressive as well as unique, famously making a 480-mile trip during World War II.
But that isn't the right one, either.

Do I speak of NASA's early manned space missions?
Well, it is true that I have been on a space kick during this 60th year for both myself and that exploration organization.
This project was unique to the USA in its efforts to keep up with the cosmonauts.
But, no, not the topic of the day.

Do I speak of the first planet from Sol?
After all, the Solar System has been on my mind, too, but that attention has been focused on Mars and this blue-green orb.
That little planet does have a unique rotation pattern, rotating only one "day" for every two of its "years" of orbit.
Noteworthy, but not the one I'm noting.

Do I speak of the automobile maker of the family car I grew up with?
Here's a funny thing: that vehicle happened to be a Comet, unique for having a V6 rather than the Ford standard.
(smile)
Not the image I'm after, but it certainly speaks to my mental state today.

Do I speak of the god of commerce in Roman mythology?
Once upon a time I would have spoken at length about that fleet-footed messenger, unique in his ability to bridge the gulf between the upper and lower worlds.
However, he isn't the man I've mourned since last night.

I speak of Freddie Mercury of the legendary British band known as Queen.
As the 27th anniversary of his death nears, "Bohemian Rhapsody" opened in cinemas.
The film was named in honor of the unique song he wrote in 1975, the unique song that truly launched the musical career of him and his musical family and took the listening public by storm, the six-minute song that uniquely incorporated opera into a rock format.
The film was a work of love by those who knew the man. Brian May and Roger Taylor, guitarist and drummer, respectively, of Queen and friends of Freddie for twenty-one years, served as creative and musical consultants, keeping it authentic. In addition, Queen's long-time manager, Jim "Miami" Beach, put his money up to produce the film, again keeping it authentic.
Barbara had insisted that it be viewed on the IMAX screen at Royal Cinemas in Pooler.
Though Freddie Mercury had been a small man physically, his energy and voice had been larger than life and needed to be expressed on the largest possible screen.
Carolyn and Sandy and I agreed, all of us hungry for the concert experience.
We women were joined by Joyce (Barbara's long-time friend)
Kevin was there, too - after all, it was "Tina Tuesday".
(smile)
I knew every song, all 21 of them, and sang along, dancing in my seat as I did, feeling absolutely exhilarated by the experience!
Then, along the time that he sang "Love Of My Life" for his beloved Mary, the tempo shifted for me. That was when he confessed to her that he was bisexual and she separated from him. They remained dear friends for the rest of his life, but that trust had been broken.
I know about that heartache.
A bit later, "Under Pressure" brought David Bowie to mind... and the loss of that oh-so-talented man... and impending death of Freddie Mercury.
Then came the huge concert in 1985, the twenty minutes of fundraising exposure at Wembley Stadium for Live Aid. The music was that much more poignant for me, as Freddie had announced to his band-mates that he had AIDS, the disease that was a death sentence thirty years ago.
...And they had embraced him at the disclosure, promising to keep his news private... and they had.
He was allowed to live his life without the world looking at him as diseased.
He was allowed to live his life doing what he loved with those he loved.
He was allowed to live his life to its fullest, asking for more songs, working as often as his failing body would allow. He even worked on recording videos for the songs, with "These Are The Days Of Our Lives" as the final one he ever did, just months before his death.
The film had ended with that massive "Live Aid" concert in 1985, leaving us with the image of this charismatic entertainer giving his all to his fans, with his voice ringing out to draw them near.
And then he was gone...
and I barely managed to pull myself together after a quick hide out in the bathroom...
but I've been crying like a lost child ever since my return home last night...
and most of this entire day.
But I've realized that it isn't his death that is causing this onslaught of sobs - oh, no.
It's the love that his musical family continues to express for him.
It's the heart-broken love that still rejoices in the sight of him in videos, at the sound of him in full-throated song, at the memories of his laughter and joy.
It's the love that clings together, forgetting squabbles, accepting each other unconditionally, taking true pleasure from each other's company.



This song is from "A Day At The Races", one of my favorite albums.
"Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together)" seems to be an appropriate ending here.
Ah... but that was penned by Brian May.
Better to leave with a tune actually written by Freddie Mercury, then set to animation in 2011 by the fine folks at Google to honor what would have been his 65th birthday and was the 20th year since his death.



1 comment:

faustina said...

Here's a thought:
Freddie Mercury would be 77 years old in September if he were still living.
77.
whoa...