Sunday, August 18, 2019

he started it

You want to be startin' somethin', you gotta be startin; somethin'...

"That's a Michael Jackson song, right? Major coolness!"

Yeah, it is that tune, and I seem to have put the needle on the record, though I have yet to "Pump Up The Volume", if you know what I mean.

"???"

Yeah, that's the reaction I get from Kevin when my phone scrambles my text. It's partly his fault that I've been watching "The Mask" and "The Birdcage" and "The Shape of Water" and "Just Like Heaven" On Demand.
Those are all romances, in case you hadn't drawn the connection. That last one, in particular, possibly never made it to cinema, but it has Mark Ruffalo and Reese Witherspoon and is adorable.

"Hold up there, sweetheart. What does the bear have to do with anything?"

Well, he caught another fish, around the same time that baseball was winding down. And while we were texting, and I was "hasslin'" him about his "love life", I realized that our Tuesdays might be in jeopardy yet again.

"You do realize that one of these days he'll find 'the One', don't you? That it won't be a 400-pound Sumo wrestler catfishing him, but a real live woman with brains and curves and nerdy glasses?"

I have brains and curves and could wear my glasses more -

" - and that would matter not at all. You still have 25 years on him, 'Aunt' Tina."

Yes, I am well aware, thankyouverymuch. Anywho, he is not the 'he' of the post title.
So, there.

"Glad to hear it. So just who is this mystery 'he' who started something with you?"

Let me just set it up, okay?
It was about two days after the texting conversation.
'He' started it, posting the fb-generated "10-year anniversary" video of our friendship there.
What the Book of Face doesn't know is that our friendship goes back for more like thirty years, when we were both going to school at Armstrong and long before internet social media even existed.
When someone posts one of these 'friend-versaries', I at least respond with a 'Like'.
This time, I decided to respond with more than just an emoticon.
As the bfe would say, "I used words... real words... my own words."
I wrote, "We should have lunch sometime, kid."
To my amazement, he'd written, "Let's."

"Well, cool beans! Good for you for suggesting a face-to-face!"

I thought a lunch would be a safe choice. Plus, I know he gives tours at night, so that would pretty much preclude a dinner.

"True, very true. And y'all did that, right? "

Yes, we did. I'd private-messaged him and we'd arranged to meet in two weeks, when the Bananas would be done, just in case of Play-Off games. August 8th, a Thursday, I'd said. He'd suggested Spanky's and so we had the time and the place... and then life had intruded.

"Wait a minute! He stood you up?!? "

No, please. We have too many people we both know, including my first niece, for him to ever do anything that rude. He'd simply forgotten he already had plans with his Dad on that date.
"How about tomorrow?" he'd said.
But I had lunch plans with Dawn scheduled... "I already have plans then, but what about Monday?"
"Yes, Monday would be great!"

"So, y'all dined together on the 12th?"

We did! A nice, long, three-hour lunch! And he graciously picked up the tab. And then he'd walked me to my car, where, as we hugged in parting, he'd surprised me with a kiss.
On my lips.

"So... first-kiss type of kiss, or light kiss like with family?"

More of the latter than the former, though it really had surprised me.

"Understood. It's been awhile. Did y'all make future plans?"

We did not. It was actually a bit awkwardly timed. I had not realized two weeks ago that his birthday would fall so close to our luncheon. It was the day after, in fact. he had plans already with his Dad and some others, but it left me wondering what I should do, if anything, without making it more awkward.
I texted him with birthday greetings, and did a similar post for him on fb, and left it at that.

"O-kay. A bit clumsy, but still appropriate and kind. "

Yes, that's what I was going for: clumsy, appropriate, and kind.

"Well, you could have said nothing at all."

Sigh.
Sometimes, these little conversations we have are not especially helpful.
Just sayin'.

"You know how you are. I know you have something more to say, but you're taking your sweet time with it and I have had a busy day. Between going to see "Hair: The American Tribal-Rock Musical" and then attending the show by the Robert Louis Quartet as my last free CJA concert, this has been pretty well packed for a Sunday. "

Those were both excellent weren't they? I'm so glad Jason Arons seated me on the aisle, so I couple interact with the dancers as they traipsed through the crowd! And you know the one question I kept getting asked? "Did they get naked?" Fortunately, they did not. I know so many of those people, including Thomas and Danielle and Chris and Travis and JoJo. I'm glad the cast stayed clad for this closing-show matinee!

"So very true. And it was funny that the jazz group was giving away CDs because they didn't want to cart them around anymore! "

You bet! I took both and look forward to listening to them in the car.

"The physicist may like them, too. "

He just might! But I get first listen.
(smile)

"Yes, dear. Now, what about your story about the 'he'? "

Oh, yes. Okay. After his birthday, I heard nothing from him until late Friday night. After my usher shift for "The African Queen", I'd texted a "downtown at night" photo to him, adding that it was a "nice evening for a stroll".
I had thought that might get his attention and it did.
He had parried with a suggestion that I join him after his tour, at Wright Square, and I'd replied in the affirmative.
So, that's what I'd done, last night, after the last "Star Wars" faded from the Lucas' screen.

"And? And? Come on, spit it out, girlie, it ain't yours... "

Oh, ha ha, aren't you funny?

"I'm a hoot, and you know it. Now, move along... "

Well, that's pretty much what we did. I had hoped we might get a nosh, but that was not to be. He spends Sundays with his Dad, down in the Brunswick area, and needed to be up early for that. Instead, we'd talked a little about noting much, then he'd given me a lift to my car. And, done.

"Okay. Well, he seems to be a very nice guy who has a strong bond to his father. That's a good thing. He also seems to have a life, which is a good thing. need I remind you that you, also, have a life? "

Yes, I do. I completely understand that, as one gets older, the folks one meets are more and more likely to have lives and it's difficult to find one's place in those established patterns.
I do realize that.

"And yet, you were maybe hoping for a little magic...? "

I honestly cannot say what I was hoping. I try not to hope, after all. Rather, I try not to hope about romantic stuff and nonsense. After all, I'm not wanting to get into a long relationship and then leave someone behind. That would not be fair to them, would it?

"You and your altruistic bent. Whatever shall I do with you, my dear? "

Hey, have I got the answer for you!
(smile)



"Hahaha! I had forgotten about that "quote of your life"! Magnificent! "

TAKE ME AS I AM OR WATCH ME AS I GO.

Life is too short to do otherwise.

No comments: