Monday, August 12, 2019

voice of 4ever plaid!

Picture this: it's the day in 1964 when The Beatles first performed on television on The Ed Sullivan Show.
Four young men, themselves in an a capella band, have left home and headed to the studio to see the English group in person.
Sadly, their car crashes along the way and all four are killed.
They didn't even get to wear their new jackets.
Now, fast forward to the Plantation Club at the Landings, tonight!
Magically, wondrously, the four find they are alive again and scheduled to perform their 50's tunes at a dinner theatre!

I was absolutely delighted!!!
I'd never been to this venue before and it was such an intimate setting for this musical -
and so very appropriate for those pop tunes and corny humor!
This performance was so very in keeping with the SVF7's theme of "Heaven and Earth", especially with these fine fellows getting a second chance at their dream of singing to an audience.
As I said, it was delightful!
This is the foursome that regaled and entertained us with familiar songs and jokes!
From left to right, that's Sparky (Sean Christensen), Jinx (Peter Lake), Frankie (Nicholas Yaqunito), and Smudge (Scott Russell) -
three tenors and a bass!
They had me tapping my toes from "Three Coins In The Fountain" all the way to "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing", the finale!
Good thing I was in the back row!
Glad they had this post-show photo session to preen in their special-order jackets!
Their names were embroidered with gilt thread on the inner pockets - how glamorous!
The middle man - literally - is the director... I think.
My attention, truly, was focused on Smudge, with his gorgeous beard and nerdy glasses.
My kind of man, especially with that fabulous deep voice!
His "16 Tons" was definitely a favorite tonight, not that the other guys didn't sing well.
Sparky's "Catch A Falling Star" and Jinx's "Cry", as well as Frankie's "Heart And Soul", were all marvelous, truly they were.
But it's all about that bass, 'bout that bass, for this Georgia gal!
(smile)
"Forever Plaid" was worth every penny of the $35 and I gladly would have watched it again!
Sadly, this was its second, and final, performance.
Fortunately, I found out I need not let cost be a deciding factor for future SVF7 events.
The Savannah VOICE Festival allows a sizable discount not only for students and active-duty military, but also for veterans.
From now on, I'll only pay $10 for a ticket!
Many, many thanks, y'all!)
See you on the 16th for "The Little Prince"!
(smile)
Now, I must get ready for a luncheon with Eric Mitchell at Spanky's midtown.
I haven't physically seen him in years, outside of his walking through the neighborhood to survey the damage after Hurricane Matthew.
Mostly, we banter a bit on fb, as he has worked at TVR and knows my first niece, her sister, her brother, and her mom, all through that rental venue.
Anyhow, he said something on fb and I countered with a lunch suggestion and he bit...
so, now, we'll have a bite together and take it from there.
My bites are going to be of pizza, at least to start.
(smile)

No comments: