Friday, August 16, 2019

opera with, by, for children!

Hey, I heard it through the grape vine!
Honestly, I can't think of that song without remembering Pat Benatar belting out the lyrics, with her operatic range, as an encore offering!
That was back in 1983, while stationed in San Diego, with Red Rider as the opening act.
Talk about your "Lunatic Fringe" - they shook the whole arena!
But where was I this time?

In the lobby of the Yamacraw Center For The Arts, with students' interpretations of the song lyrics.
I was at Garrison Middle School for an SVF7 event, a Friday afternoon performance of "The Little Prince" for Savannah's youth.
I wasn't the only adult or former teacher there for the early show.
Pete and Fran Zipperer were there, too!
 
Their grandson, Nicholas Yaquinto, was The Pilot character.
And look, 'tis the Tiz!
Of course John Tisbert was there!
This is his school, where he teaches singing.
It was still early on, so he was trying to make sure the students were as orderly as possible while filing in.
What an enthusiastic crowd they were, too!
For all I know, they may have had a hand with set construction, as I know that was a craft they learned with this show.
For all I know, they may have been some of the choral performers, as I was so engaged by the performance before me that I paid no attention to anything behind me.
I was fully concentrating on the song lyrics which had been composed from the book's tale of a lost pilot who runs into a tiny extraterrestrial royal, as well as others along their journey together.

 
After the show, Savannah VOICE had a surprise: a question and answer session with the singers and actors!
Of course I stayed for it!
Such a delight to hear the many questions the students had, especially about how much practice was involved, how long it took to make the props on stage, how they might be involved in future shows - wow!
What a special treat this was!
(smile!)

No comments: