Wednesday, October 9, 2019

4 d man

"For what man, dear?"

Oh, you misunderstand. I'm talking about a 1959 movie I saw at PFS tonight!

"Oh. Was Jim showing a documentary about some fellow? "

Ha! During the month of October, when every show falls in the "horror" genre? Not hardly!

"Wait just a minute! You tend to abstain from such films! Well, with the exception of a rare one to satisfy a Tuesday film companion... "

That's true, but I did, indeed, attend tonight's psychotronic film, for several reasons. First, it had two actors - Robert Strauss and Guy Raymond - whose comedic turns were quite popular in 1950's films, so I knew to expect some fun. Second, it had thirteen-year-old Patty Duke in it, four years before her turn playing twins in a tv series.

"Why, that doesn't sound like the cast of a horror film at all!"

No, it doesn't and so, no, it wasn't that type of movie! Or, rather, by today's standards, the movie was straight up science fiction. Hallelujah!

"Amen, girlfriend!"

You said it! I'd almost decided to watch it, but I wasn't that sure. So, I'd dropped by the Sentient Bean after WNS at AMUMC and told Jim that I was taking a walk around Forsyth Park and might be back, but might not. Jim told me that he hoped I had fun at whatever I decided to do tonight.

"How very kind of him!"


That's what I thought, too! Plus, Ken was there at that time. For whatever reason, I had greeted him with "K-k-k-k-ken!" and he had immediately known what movie that was from! I don't know why, but him being so familiar with "A Fish Called Wanda" really made me happy!

Honestly, I felt like I was on a roll when I headed out to start my walk! And then it got better, with just a hint of cool in the air and a stunningly beautiful sky! It was as if the Earth had thrown on its loveliest gown, with swirls of pink intermingled with clear blue, and a bright moon as a brooch, way up firm and high - wow.

"Wow. Very nice imagery. Working on those "Night Moves"... oh, yeah!"

You know it!

"So, I guess after the walk you opted for the movie?"

Oh, not quite. I still had too much time on my hands, don't you know... and ice cream on my mind! My own fault, as I had brought it up at the WW meeting. The DOT was right there, so it seemed to mean I was meant to go to Ben & Jerry's... so I did!

"They even had your favorite flavor, didn't they?"

Oh, yeah... coconut almond fudge chip!!! Scrumpdiddlyicious!

"Hahahaha! Between that word and those crazily decked out hats, I had a flashback to 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'! Truly I did! Hahahaha!"

I hear you talkin'! Those hats were actually quite fun to peruse as I leisurely enjoyed my treat... which I finished in time to catch another DOT back down to the park. Right place, right time, and with ice cream!
It was almost twenty past 8 PM by this time, so I popped into the coffee house to see if the movie had begun. Nope! Jim was still talking!
So, I stayed!

"You stayed?! I bet Jim can't even get a dog to stay!"

Hahahaha hahaha! I just love "Groundhog Day"! Hahahaha!

"Glad I could so easily tickle your fancy, dear! "

Hey, you know I'm pretty easy to please!

"Yes, I do! And, so, I take it this movie was quite pleasurable?"

This movie was aWEsoMe!!! There were two brothers, who both happened to be scientists, scrambling over the same girl, so that was a great premise. Lee Meriwether, who was Miss America in 1955, played the love interest and did it quite well. The two character actors mentioned earlier? The first was an also-ran at the lab, always in the shadow of the two brothers. The other was a security guard and played it to the hilt! Plus, the soundtrack was super-marvy, man!

"Are you talking jazzy with a dollop of beatnik? "

You know it! I had hoped to find some of that online, but no such luck. Maybe I could ask Ralph Carmichael where I could get a dose of it.

"He's the one behind the score? "

Yep, as well as the one keeping the score. Bah dum dumm!

"Weak, but I'll let it pass. "

How magnanimous of you. You're too kind.
LOL!

"Hey, it takes the same amount of effort to be kind as to be contrary, so why not be kind?"

I totally agree! The world could certainly do with a decrease of snark.

"No doubt in my mind that Arthur Fleck would agree, whole-hearted."

Yeah, that's not how the song goes. The actual title is "Hole Hearted", a phrase which may aptly describe Joker, but the lyrics may not concur with how he feels.

"Perhaps that discussion is better elsewhere. You still haven't told me the name of tonight's movie. So, if you please? "

"4D Man".

"No, seriously. "

Yes, seriously! As you know, the fourth dimension is time and The 5th Dimension is a singing group...

"Okay, I can tell you're still buzzed from the ice cream..."

...so 4D was as far as they took it. The younger brother was the one who came up with the experiment, but the older brother, who had some faulty wiring in his brain...

"Yeah, a lot of that going around, of late... "

... is the one who got it to work. It freaked him out, at first, to have managed to get his hand stuck in a block of solid metal. However, once he realized he could control his molecules being simultaneously in the same three-dimensional space as the molecules of any other solid, he went slap-happy with his new power!

"Ohhhh... that doesn't sound like it would end well for him. "

Nope! For one thing, he discovered to his dismay that the payment for passing through walls and such was, quit literally, pieces of his life. Like, years of his life, gone, POOF!

"Enter the 'horror' aspect of the tale of science gone wrong? "

Yep! Just as he had accidentally 'discovered' this power of his, he also accidentally found the antidote to the enhancement of the aging process. He'd gone to his doctor to seek help, and, when he touched the man, the life force reversed him back to his own age again. Sadly, the doctor did not survive the life transfusion. Of course.

"Much like with "The Little Shop of Horrors" then, when the plant requires living bodies from poor Seymour?"

Ah, not quite, but at least you're trying. Nor is it like "Monsters, Inc.", with energy from the kids' screams of fear being converted to energy for the city. However, it's definitely similar to what's going on in "Bubba Ho-Tep", now that I think about it...

"Alrighty then! You're rambling and I'm ready for something else, so let's call it a night, dear. "

It's a night, dear!
Hahahaha!

"Yes, it is."

And a mighty fine night it has been, too!
i thank You, God!

"I'll second that motion! Motion carried, case adjourned. G'night, my girl."

And sweet dreams, too!
(smile)

No comments: