Monday, October 14, 2019

wash, rinse, spin, repeat

Except for that word "spin", these are the same words in the directions for using shampoo.
That's what sets laundry day apart from hair-washing day.
Well, actually, one of many things that separate the two activities, of course.
I mean, really, who would use a machine to wash their hair?
Seriously?

However, machines certainly make washing and drying the clothes faster and easier.
No beating the delicates on a rock!
Today, the new owners, Abby and Jose Zambrana, were at Wash Plus.
Nami only comes in to wash her personal clothes now, and to stand in on an occasional Sunday morning.
I'm so happy for her...
but I miss her smiling face and the constant sound of the fans.
We'll need to have a lunch date!
Still, I know my being there this afternoon was a case of right place, right time.
There was a lucky penny in the bottom dryer, which I rarely use.
This day, I had brought my sheets and I always put them in one of the lower ones.
Nice to have the little copper messenger pinging and singing there with my bedding!
Nice to have air conditioning, too!
Plus, they will have Tuesday hours!


So, in honor of the new owners, and to continue with my house-clearing efforts, how about some more twisted phrases from crossword puzzles?
This is from one I've held onto since July 30th.
Definitely time for it to g-o, go!
So, what was where?
Well, how about a matching game?
I'll list the clues, then the answers which fit the puzzle.
Ready... set... GO!

***** ***** *****
The Clues:

17-Across "Employee who prepares clothes for air-drying?"

24-Across "Employee who uses an iron?"

38-Across "Motto for this puzzle's labor union?"

48-Across "Employee who fixes a washer?"

60-Across "Employee who transports a load to the laundromat?"

***** ***** *****
The Puzzle Answers:

spin doctor

wash rinse spin

press agent

pile driver

line worker

hanging together

***** ***** *****

Okay, have at it!

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

All done? Let's have a look!

"Line worker" is the correct response for 17-Across. Apparently, that phrase isn't reserved for those who work on assembly lines, like Laverne and Shirley.

A "press agent" is the only response for 24-Across! Of course, my favorite representative of the media has to be William Thacker, pink shirt and all!

The "spin doctor" does the work for 48-Across, among other physical labors. Rather than consider those doing fancy word play at the White House, I prefer a study of the musical group's approach. Just have to shift the sex of the antagonist and it fits quite nicely!

"Pile driver" is the final employee, the one described by 60-Across. Sure, I think of a machine for that kind of labor, but the term is also used for a wrestling move. I'm sure I'll be remembering this video, though, in the future! What fun!

"Hanging together", for 38-Across, is certainly old-fashioned, as I know no one in this country who uses a clothes line anymore. I sure did like the smell of sheets hung out to dry in the sun!

Oh...?
What's that about "wash rinse spin"?
Silly rabbit, that's the post title!
(smile)

Now, I've promised myself some laughter tonight and I expect Odd Lot to deliver, as they always do.
Off I go!

No comments: