Friday, October 18, 2019

tech rehearsal, final version

Patti Galvan was here this morning so we could run tech together.
Yeah! I finally know a second person for this NCW event!
That was quite reassuring.
(smile)

The box with the goods for the battery building experiment has still not arrived.
At this point, I've dropped it from the line-up.
That's no problem, as we still have a solid four-tables of activities.
Plus, my "afternoon with chemistry" event is listed in this week's issue of Connect Savannah - twice!
Patti was glad to see that, but not as much as I was.
I have it in DO's Big Calendar and on WRHQ, too.

The first practice run she and I did was with the self-inflating balloons, naturally.
(smile!)
They're colorful and have funny insider-type jokes written on them - how to resist all of that?
(smile!)
"Cool Chemistry!" But, of course!
The reaction between the citric acid and baking soda inside the balloon is endothermic!

Next up was the copper etching demonstration.
It had not been working very well so we needed to debug it.
The problem was that the cotton swab was too coarse an instrument for fine drawing, so smears seemed to be the result.
I found that I could draw a design if I dipped the swab in salt, to help complete the electric circuit.
So, what design did I write?
My initials, what else?
(smile!)

We didn't need to practice the Yellow And Blue experiments, as I had already sussed them out.
Patti was pleased that I'd taken it on myself to do that.
That's an "atta girl" for me!
(smile!)
Plus, I had already figured out how to fold the ChemCatchers and had copied them in yellow and blue, so that was done, too.
That left only the UV-detecting bracelets - I mean,
wristbands - to get the timing down on.
Plus, we wanted to see how many beads each participant would receive.
That number was fifteen.
Eight bright yellow beads and two dark blue stars, plus five white beads.
And, oh, what a surprise to see the colors those plain white beads became in the sunlight!
Orange! Pink! Green! Blue! Purple! Pale yellow!
And what did that mean?
Wear sunscreen or the ultraviolet will get ya!!!


Oh, yeah, this is going to go over like gangbusters on Sunday!
(smile!)

No comments: