Saturday, October 19, 2019

who'll stop the rain

On Thursday, when I went out to GaSoU Armstrong, that was the question I heard.
I was chatting with Cathy MacGowan about payment for the police contingent.
She asked, "What will you do about the rain?"
I replied, "The last time I checked, I was not in charge of the weather."
Patti asked the same question yesterday.
Today, the rain came...
and it has remained.
All last night, all morning, all afternoon, all evening.
That's fine with me.
I have been assured by my favorite retired weatherman that tomorrow will have blue skies and sunshine.
Of course, that means there will also be soggy ground.
So, I have taken advantage of this lull in the action to repack all of the tote bags to withstand moisture.
Fortunately, I had almost enough plastic bags in my house.
Almost.
The top two bags are full of goggles for the participants, mostly in kid size but a few for adults.
I'm not concerned about those becoming wet, but I will make sure they are set down onto plastic dropcloths.
The two yellow bags and the white one (in the blue plastic bag) in the next shot contain 320 "Celebrating Chemistry" activity books.
I had to put plastic sheeting inside those yellow totes and repack.
The same was done for the two
totes of 320 "Saving Savannah's Water" activity books.
The tote full of Skittles was fine.
The two totes of self-inflating balloons (with the green instruction sheets), the tote with the UV-detecting wristbands (purple sheet), the tote for the copper etching (orange sheet) and the one for the Yellow And Blue (yellow sheet) were all water resistant.
All would be placed on plastic sheeting, though, just to be safe.


All together, that's fourteen bags of material to be carried into Morrell Park.
Fourteen bags of demonstration materials and give-away items.
We're planning on three hundred participants tomorrow, but I've packed a little extra.
You know, just in case.
(smile)

I hope that most of the volunteers will show up.
I've only heard from three of them.
Chelsea Miller designed the flyer for my event, in response to a mocked-up version I emailed to the group. (David Horwitz at ACS then jazzed up her version for our final presentation.)
One of the young women had emailed about a safe location for her purse.
And Randall Schmidt called - I mean, seriously, called - to introduce himself. He had also sent several responses to my emails.
That's it.
Three respondents out of twenty on the list of volunteers.
They will show, or they won't - it's out of my control...
just like the rain.
(smile)

Now, I'm going to continue my On Demand Movie Festival, which I began on Thursday.
That night, I watched "Four Weddings And A Funeral", from 1994. I was amazed how much of that quarter-century-old movie that I remembered!
Yesterday, I was in a Halloween frame of mind. That resulted in my enjoyment of "Haunted Honeymoon" and "High Spirits", from 1986 and 1988, respectively, both courtesy of Comet. Hard to believe they're both more than thirty years old!
Then, today, I've seen "MARS"! This was one I'd seen with the Peace Guy at the Lucas, back in 2010! The animated science fiction piece was part of the Southern Circuit of Independent Films, with the writer-director there for a Q&A after. Joe and I had run into each other there, as we had at many events at Muse Arts Warehouse, but this time something clicked and we had walked together to the reception site, talking along the way.
And we still do, nine years later. What a great memory!
Now, I'm going to get in a little Chris Pratt, if you don't mind. "Jurassic World" is starting! I'm very much looking forward to seeing him riding that motorcycle in the herd - pack? flock? murder? - of velociraptors! Oh, yeah!
Until tomorrow!

No comments: