Thursday, October 3, 2019

let me show you my scar

Those were the words I used, too.
I had noticed a familiar wrist brace on our waitress, the sign of carpal tunnel syndrome, like I have.
I shared my story and she'd told me she was afraid of having pain from the surgery.
I had assured her that she would immediately have relief.
"It's like you've been holding your breath, waiting for the pain to end... and suddenly you find you can breathe again."
That's absolutely true, too.

She was so relieved that she almost began crying.
She loves her line of work, loves meeting new people, loves seeing the regulars, and she had been so concerned about not being able to keep serving people.
Now, she's looking forward to the surgery and to continuing to do work she enjoys.
We ended out chance encounter with a warm embrace, naturally.
i thank You, God, that I was there to reassure her.

I had thought I was there at the Carey Hilliard's on Abercorn to visit with Cedric.
Kevin had invited me to crash the Savannah Striders' meeting to see my favorite British professor, so I'd jumped at the chance.
After all, this was the first time I'd been to one of these monthly meetings since a close encounter a couple of years ago.
Anywho, me and the running bear and the Brit had a lovely dinner together, much like our old days dining with the Philo crowd - very nice!
Afterward - but before the conversation with the waitress - The two guys wanted a photo together.
A photo? Just one? Hahahaha!
I took these three, trying to get them to act like they even knew each other.

Come on, guys, can't you
move in a bit closer?
Oh, please!
You know you love each other.
Don't give me that look!
Aw, that's perfect!
Y'all are family and it shows!
Beautiful!







Now, I have these on my phone, as a slow-motion film of coming in for a hug!
Woohoo!
Perhaps it was no coincidence that I was here tonight to capture this moment...
i thank You, God.

Now, I am off to another rarity: a Thursday film with the psychologist.
Joaquin Phoenix's new one, "Joker", begins in mere moments -
tata for now, and cheerio, my dears!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Wow.
"Joker" was amazingly intense, intimating that Arthur Fleck suffered from pseudo bulbar syndrome, with his laughing-drying jags a result of brain damage suffered as a child. Now, he's in his 30's - like Jesus was - when he has an epiphany on how to deal with bullies.
Amazing.
And to show that none of tonight's events were just "coincidence", my odometer had a palindrome mileage for me on my way home:
209902
i thank You, God, for putting me in the right place, right time.