Wednesday, October 23, 2019

mole day at sermacs!

Happy Mole Day, y'all!!!
I began mine in true chem-nerd style: drinking
my morning coffee in my brand-new beaker mug!
Cheers!
(smile!)

My sole event at the Marriott on this fourth and final day of the conference was the SERMACS Award Luncheon.
And guess what?
I managed to sit not only at the same table as one of the award winners, but right next to him.
Yes, I felt rather honored!
Here he is, up at the place of honor, receiving the Stanley C. Israel Regional Award for Advancing Diversity in the Chemical Sciences!
What a mouthful, right?
And, just think: he teaches at Murray State University,
a small college in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
His name is Bommanna G. Loganathan and he is a Professor of Environmental/Analytical Chemistry.
His wife had traveled to visit family in India and had not been able to accompany him, but I made sure to take plenty of photos for him to share with her!
(smile!)
During the meal afterward, he asked if I knew Cathy MacGowan, as he would like to thank her for all her help.
As good fortune would have it, she was sitting at the far side of our table!
Later, I took him to the SERMACS office to retrieve the box to ship his award safely to his home.
Right place, right time!

As for the meal, it as certainly the ritziest by far!
First was this gorgeous wedge salad with blue cheese - glad I brought some Lactaid!
The entree was a tender chicken breast with potato and vegetables - so good!
But the crowning glory was cheesecake with raspberry swirls and twirls...
I gladly gave up two Lactaids for that rare delight!

And, justthatfast, SERMACS 2019 was over and done.
No more seminars or poster sessions or anything.
I took advantage of the beautiful day to revisit
The Waving Girl, a friend of mine since she was first erected in 1971.
I was only 13 years old and her sea-lore story, and her image with her faithful dog, enchanted me.

Time to put the badge away as a souvenir of this "Chemistry On The Coast" event.
I had adorned the badge holder with several of the pins representing the different ACS sections that I had joined last year in Augusta.
(smile!)
Now, back to my regular life as a busy, vibrant woman!
i thank You, God!

No comments: