Tuesday, April 19, 2022

adjusting to the low forties

Yesterday, I went to the cinema for a movie.
That was my first time there in ten days.
Seriously... me, not at a movie, since 8 April.
That one, by the way, which seems so long ago, was a fourth - or maybe a fifth - viewing of "The Lost City".
I do so enjoy that hopeful-romantic / adventure / comedy!
And had I noticed something else special to that one?
There's a real-life Dash ("Jack", played by Brad Pitt) ...
and a dream-fake Dash (Alan, played by Channing Tatum), 
and they're both in this photograph, rescuing the novel writer!
What a great image, right?
I was very fortunate to have run into Carolyn for that viewing, as she was, by sheer happenstance, there to have herself a double-feature.
I was not able to stay for the second one though.
Partly, it's my medication schedule, and staying for another movie would have impacted that.
Partly, I couldn't stay because I would have had to drive in the dark.
I'm still not driving at night, so that's seriously impacted time with mi amigas.
Sandy and Barbara rarely make a matinee, doing most of their movie-watching after 7 PM.
The day will come when I'll be able to do that, but... baby steps for now.
But I've been getting out during daylight hours and there's plenty of afternoon films!
Hooray!
So, which movie did I see yesterday, and what did I watch today?
Well, stay tuned and I'll let you know - but not until my A*List is complete!
(smile!)
Meanwhile, how am I getting some exercise into my days?
I grab a buggy and push it around in a store for about thirty minutes, several times a week.
Now, lest you think I'm spending money like it was just paper, let me tell you my method.
When I enter the store, I always have one or two items that I need - milk, cheese, cereal, toilet paper, et al.
So, I go ahead to the part of the store with those items and I grab them and put them in the buggy, so it's no longer empty.
That's the key: with merchandise already in the buggy, I'm not inclined to randomly put other stuff in there.
That keeps me from spending money I don't want to spend and from cluttering up the house with stuff I don't need.
I told Paul about this 'exercise' routine and he wants me to get Cathy in on it!
Hey, I can try, but so many women are raised to gather, gather, gather!
Growing up poor, in a family with four kids, window shopping was all I could afford until I joined the Navy.
That's okay, though - I still like window shopping!
It's free!
(smile!)
I like good bargains, too, especially for items I need.
Take toilet paper, something I like to have on hand, especially since the madness of the early pandemic.
I'm not saying I stuff a closet with it, but once I've opened a package I keep an eye on it, and I try to make sure I've bought another when it gets half-empty.
Well, thanks to CVS for rewarding me with a 40% off coupon for 1 item almost every week, and thanks to Omron for rewarding me with $10 in Extra Bucks for buying my blood pressure monitor, today I purchased an 8-pack of Charmin Ultra Strong (but with the CVS brand on it) for the grand price of only $3.24, down from almost $12.
Woot woot!!!
Thanks, CVS, and thanks, Omron!
As for the rationale for CVS gifting me regularly with forty percent discounts, I think it's related to my regularly providing them feedback on the store surveys.
I was a mystery shopper for a group about ten or so years ago.
They would send me to gas stations, restaurants, clothing stores, and other places to check on how the staff treated customers, how the place looked, stuff like that.
I think the store surveys serve the same function, only now I'm getting 'paid' with discounted shopping at the store.
That works for me!
Now, it's time for dinner, which will be a toasted high-fiber English muffin topped with a mixture of black beans, diced tomatoes, and a dibble of shredded cheddar, all spiced Southwest-style.
After dinner is when I'll be taking the evening dose of Sotalol for maintaining my heart rate.
That rate has been hanging out in the low forties, but it's steady, and the little Omron hasn't been seeing irregular beats - and that's a relief!
The machine will keep count up to a three off-beats, and that area on the monitor has been blessedly clear for several days now.
What a relief!
i thank You, God!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Guess what?
That Latin phrase that kept popping up in "The Lost City" -
Ad Astra Per Aspera -
is the slogan for Kansas.

Had Seth Gordon included that specific phrase in his book, upon which the movie script is based?
Did he have any ties to Kansas?
What about those Nee brothers, Aaron and Adam, who co-wrote the script and directed the movie?
What about the other two scriptwriters, Dana Fox and Oren Uziel? Was Kansas meaningful to them?
So many questions!
All raised by a story about Kansas on "Teen Kids News" this morning.

Nice rabbit holes, y'all.