Sunday, April 24, 2022

world premiere of children's musical!

I really love that little giraffe splayed out there on the set - a toy, left in readiness for another play date, in a child's rush to go to school.
The child is an 11-year-old boy, going to middle school for the first time and concerned about being with the older kids there.
His dad comes to his emotional rescue!
He gives his son a "Backpack of Power", the same one his dad had given him, and that the boy's great-grandpa had given to the boy's grandpa.
The Backpack can sing and dance as well as being packed with good advice, all very helpful for getting a not-yet-teen's attention and holding it!
And just what advice did it have?
"Be powerful, be strong, be bold, and be brave!
Speak up when something wrong is happening!
Speak out when someone is wrongly accused!
Speak with respect to all you meet!"
Hey, that's good advice to advocate for diversity at any age!
Written by Kendra Norwood Brown, a teacher at Savannah Children's Theatre, the musical is to begin touring at middle schools after its two-weekend run.
I liked its flexible nature, allowing kids of any color to be cast as the protagonist.
I liked its fair depiction of black-on-black assumptions, not just the typical white-on-black or black-on-white prejudices.
I'd like it to see it with Hispanic Americans (like my nephews Sebastian and Gabriel) and Asian Americans (like my nephew Kobe), as they need to be able to visualize themselves and their faces in this helpful context and to know it's perfectly fine - no, it's absolutely vital - that they use their voices to help cause a positive change.
They have a choice to be part of the change toward a better life for all.
Be powerful be strong, be bold, and be brave!

Afterward, I felt a need to celebrate this outing with a meal I didn't have to prepare.
I was all dressed up, after all, and this was still the weekend.
(smile!)
The question was: what did I feel like eating?
Well, I had not been to a restaurant of any kind for a meal since I was out with Christina and her family. 
That left menu options wide open, like the space on this dance floor.
Did I have any gift cards on me?
I did not.
But, what's this?
My car, with it's almost 21-year-old mind of its own, had continued driving down Skidaway Road.
It was on a mission, apparently.
The Universe knew how much I had been craving Mexican food, especially Shrimp Ceviche...
and my dear Saturn, being of the Universe, took me to the Jalapenos in Sandfly!
Hallelujah!
I even got two orders of that delectable dish - one for tonight's dinner and the second tin full for tomorrow's lunch!
They even gave me a huge bag of chips and cup of salsa to make the "to go" meal complete!
Yes, this was the medicine my heart needed and my soul needed and my mind needed!
Thank you, my little car, and thank You, God, for a day spent where I needed to be.
(smile!)

No comments: