Thursday, April 21, 2022

everything morbius father!


Yes, I feel a bit giddy!
I have finally managed to complete my A*List trio for the first time in months!
Hard to believe... though, perhaps not, given my recent medical history.
Good thing I had little recovery time after that latest bout of anesthesia!
That meant I could drive after just a couple of days, so that helped.
I'm still not driving at night... but maybe I'll try that this week, see how it goes.
Mi amigas Barbara y Sandy preferamente las peliculas despues de siete.
However, as they have been so good about trying to get me to join them for an evening movie, even offering to come and fetch me and return me home, then I want to at least try to go out on a weekday evening and see how the lights of the the traffic effect me.
 
Speaking of them, Sandy joined me for a matinee screening of "Father Stu" yesterday!
That's the new Mark Wahlberg film, based on the true story of a boxer cum priest.
(I didn't realize until I read about the real guy that his middle name - Ignatius - was the same as my stepdad's, a man who considered becoming a monk after his first wife died.
I'm glad he didn't, as he would have missed sixteen years of marriage with Mama.)
Barbara is to join me for a matinee tomorrow, so that will be very nice!
Now, if only Carolyn would get well enough to be able to go to movies again.
She had almost recovered from getting COVID in early March, then someone recommended she try CBD products for her sciatica pain... and that landed her right in the hospital.
The doctor told her to stay away from those in the future, as they may contain a wide variety of other substances, and are not regulated like THC products are.
Good to know, right?

So, what about the other two movies?
Well, first of all, they were both science fiction.
"Morbius" was a variation on Batman, honestly, though he never claimed that title.
He did, at one point, tell someone "I... am... Venom!", but I'm not sure why, as that space alien (so well portrayed by Tom Hardy) has nothing in common with Central American vampire bats, nor with this character portrayed by Jared Leto.
I started out very much enjoying this scientist who was working so hard to help others who were ill while always hoping to find a cure for the disease he and his best friend had.
I had liked it even more when, after finding that the cure was temporary and caused vampirism, he had decided to take terminal action on himself and his friend, to prevent any more slaughter of anyone in their paths.
Best intentions don't always work out, though, especially when a girl enters the picture.
Still, I fully agree with my fellow blogger Thomas Houston.
He said, "It's the best movie of the year. Unfortunately, the year was 1991."
That had everything to do with its use of motion capture technology, I do believe.
In any case, it was an enjoyable movie, especially as it wasn't overly long.

That brings me to the first movie, which was excellent, for sure, but too long.
That said, it did have a good pace, so it didn't feel like I was in the seat almost three hours.
It was also good science fiction that was not tied to a Marvel universe or any graphic novel.
I very much liked that aspect.
Timing is everything, and having it's release tie in with income tax season was perfect!
Evelyn and her husband live above the laundry they run and the IRS agent (played with panache by a big-bellied Jamie Lee Curtis) has audited them for their slipshod box of questionable deductions.
Then there's the daughter, Joy, who is not anything at all like her name, and who has a very fractious relationship with her mom.
In fact, everyone seems to have a fractious relationship with Evelyn: her daughter, her husband, and her father, with all of them living together above the laundromat.
Add to the mix a series of alternate universes, all with mother-daughter, wife-husband, daughter-father issues, and a psychotic government agent trying to take them down.
Very imaginative and quite funny, with lots of adult humor!
But you know what my favorite part was?
The inside joke about the overly-long movie title and the lead character's name.
Of course, I might have overthought this... but I don't think so.
Consider this: if the first two letters of the words following the first are strung together, they phonetically spell the name of Michelle Yeoh's character.
"Everything Everywhere All at Once" works out to be "Everything Ev-al-on"...
which is remarkably apt for this Evelyn-centric film!
Don't we each look at the world as evolving through our eyes, as a result of our actions?
What better embodiment of that concept than this movie!
 
I'm glad I had it to break the ten-day lack of cinema outings I'd had.
Before seeing that one on April 18th, I'd not been at a silver screen since April 8th.
On that occasion, I'd watched "The Lost City" yet again, and, as I've already waxed rhapsodic about it enough, I'll say bye for now.
Bye for now!
(smile!)

No comments: