Tuesday, November 27, 2018

from the blood of my enemies to slaughter race!

"Goodness gracious! Whatever has gotten into you??"

'Tina Tuesday', that's what! I have been so enjoying myself on these outings with Kevin!

"Oh? Do tell! I had not realized those were still going on!"

Yes, they are! Ever since the start of October. I occasionally miss one, but it's of my own doing. Like two weeks ago, with Kris Kristofferson, or two weeks prior to that, when I was off being a chemistry nerd in Augusta.

"Well, alrighty then!"

Alrighty, indeed-ee-do!

(lifts eyebrow)
"Y-e-e-e-s-s. You're in fine form. So explain that title you've got up there."

Well, the first part has to do with our dining experience last week and the second part is straight out of the movie we saw tonight!

"You're telling me 'the blood of my enemies' has something to do with a restaurant?"

Sho' 'nuff! I'm telling you true!

(lifts eyebrow again)

Seriously, this is how that went down.
Last Tuesday, Kevin ordered a glass of "the blood of my enemies"...
and the beverage was delivered to the table with great aplomb!
The restaurant?
Olive Garden, of all places... at his suggestion, no less.
We were blessed with Carlos, a waiter who'd been there all day, nearing the end of his shift and glad to have a spunky couple to renew the arrows in his quiver!

"I see."

No, really, it was such a fun dining experience, not only for us, but also for the waiter!

"Oh, I have no doubt of that. After all, I've been around when you had similar good times with him, as well as with that darling first niece of ours."

Thanks! I knew you'd 'get it'... or that you certainly should!

"And what was the movie this week?"

Wait! I didn't tell you what last week's movie was!

(heavy sigh, accompanied by tapping of left foot)

Oh, c'm'on, you know you wanna know... it was "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald"! Kevin had even rewatched the first one and spent much of the movie rooting for Jacob Kowalsky and Queenie to become a forever couple.

"Does he not realize how difficult that would be for a Muggle and a Mage?"

Oh, I think he realizes, as I do, that most relationships have pretty large hurdles for one or both parties to overcome. I just thought it was sweet that he was focused on that one part of the movie. Actually, when it became clear that they were not going to be a couple, he lost a lot of interest in it.

"So, seeing Johnny Depp didn't do it for him?"

Not hardly! LOL!

"And tonight's movie was....?"

Hey, you! Not so fast! You're missing the part where we rode out to Cracker Barrel, again his choice. Let me tell you - I am so glad we were there! I thought at first that it was a flash mob, but that was not the case at all. These young folks from Providence School in Florida had sung at the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. They were on their way back home tonight and had stopped at the Cracker Barrel here - for the third year in a row! After their meal, they had treated the diners and staff to "The Carol Of The Bells" and other Christmas songs before continuing on their journey. It was absolutely magical!

"Wow! That was incredible!!! How serendipitous that you were there!"

I'll say! Totally warmed my heart!

"And Kevin?"

He really didn't react as much as I did. That's okay, though - I loved it enough for both of us!

"I doubt it not one whit."

"Not one whit..." hahahaha hahaha!

(slowly cocks eyebrow again)

Fine, have it your way. You want to know about the movie tonight, don't you?

(slow nodding of head)

Well, let me first tell you what it was not!
It was not "Widows", which I had seen a couple of weeks go with mis amigas.
It was not "Robin Hood", which we were too late to see at a reasonable time for a working man and too early for its later screening.
It was not a movie in Pooler at either of its two cinemas.

"Seriously, you are just dragging this out..."

Okay! Okay! I'll tell you!
It was not "Creed II", either!

(obviously exasperated, definitely tapping that left foot)

Hold on to your horses, buttercup, 'cause you're not going to believe me...

"Will you PLEASE just go ahead and tell me???"

We went to "Ralph Breaks The Internet"!!! I had so wanted to go to it again, ever since I saw it on Sunday! But I didn't want to just go to it again... I wanted him to see it with me!

"But he doesn't watch animated movies in cinemas..."

Yeah, yeah, he has some issue with being a single male watching a kid movie around children. Sometimes, I think he needs to leave his psychologist self at home.

"Excuse me, I don't think you get to make that call..."

... which I fully realize. But I so wanted him to see this one, because I knew he would love it, too... and he consented to do so!

"Maybe it was the magic of the Christmas songs..."

Yeah... no. That wasn't it. I think he could sense it was important to me, and the time was right, so he agreed.

"And did he enjoy it?"

Oh, my, yes! Especially the little bits and pieces of humor for adults, like 'Desmond's Tutus' as a store with dance tights for girls. That was funny! And there was a lot of that liberally sprinkled in! But his favorite part, surely, was when Vannelope finds her Disney princess song after looking at a cup of spilled liquid. Several of the other princesses had suggested that might help her...

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. What?! 'Other princesses'? What's going on here? She's a race car driver!"

Exactly! She is! But she is also a princess! And now she has her song, sung as a duet with Skank!

"Another Disney princess, is she?"

No, smarty, she's another race car driver! Do try to keep up!

"Pun intended?"

Of course!

"Yes, dear. So, this song she gets..."

Is about being in 'Slaughter Race', the internet game that Skank and her crew are in! It's fast and it's dangerous and it's unpredictable... and it's Vannelope's dream to be one of the drivers in that game! How could he go back to 'Sugar Rush' when she's found the big city, crazy clowns and all??

"Crazy clowns..."

... and all! Yes! Please, just listen to the song and you'll understand why I love it!

*

*

*

*

*

"Oh, my! I love it, too! Dippy music, zany lyrics, great imagery... perfect! I don't know that the other princesses would approve..."

Maybe not, but they would support her to have that dream!

"Yes, dear."

Yes, they would! Especially since they've discovered the joy of comfy clothes, thanks to her.

"True dat."

Yes, dear. (smile) Now, excuse me while I transpose the lyrics here for future reference. Say good night, dearie!

"Good night, dearie! Here's hoping you find your princess dream!"

Thanks!

* * * * *

Intro: Vannelope]
What can it be that calls me to this place today?
This lawless car ballet,
what can it be?
Am I a baby pigeon sprouting wings to soar?
Was that a metaphor?
Hey, there's a Dollar Store!
Look! I’m rhyming;
my spirit's
climbing
As I'm called through this fog of mace
To this place
called
Slaughter Race!

[Verse: Cast of Ralph Breaks the Internet, Skank)
Welcome back, watch your head,
Hate to see you end up dead.
Let’s get this party rolling.

(Vannelope]
Is that appliance stolen?

[Verse: Cast of Ralph Breaks the Internet, Skank)
We have
Fallen wires,
dumpster fires,
creepy clowns,
and burning tires.
That great white in the sewer
You'll be happy that you knew her.
Dogs and cats, they sure taste great
With a side of license plate.
Some find us deplorable.

(Vannelope)
Well, I think you're adorable!

[Verse: Cast of Ralph Breaks the Internet, Skank)
We may be a motley crew, but our hearts ring true!
And just for you, a face tattoo!

[Interlude: Cast of Ralph Breaks the Internet]
Ah, Slaughter Race, ooh-ooh-oh

[Bridge: Vannelope, Skank, & Both]
My heart's in flight, and, wow, it's a blast
Feels like my dreams are real at least

No trace of a frown upon your face

Flying so fast
Setting the pace
Living the life
Loving the chase
Now is the time
Here is the place
This Slaughter Race

[Outro: Vannelope)
I know I should go
But home feels so slow
These roads are paved with dreams
Happy dreams

Cast of Ralph Breaks the Internet]
- not creepy clown dreams -

(Vannelope)
What would Ralph say
if it turns out I stay
In this place called
Slaughter Race?
In this place
called
Slaughter Race.

*

*

*

*

*

Delightful little ditty, isn't it!

1 comment:

faustina said...

While in search of pigeons -
like, literally -
https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/search?q=pigeon -
I had to pause and read this bit of zaniness again!
I still so love that movie!

When I first wrote that post, the video of the segment in the film of Vannelope singing the dream was not available.
Well, it is now!!!
So, here is that lovely little link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNq4VxhzaoQ

Now, I wonder where I might find the movie itself?
Oh, to see it again in the cinema!!!