Thursday, September 28, 2017

el regreso of tulip fever to the revolutionists!


I have traveled to the capital cities of Costa Rica and of the Netherlands today, and I shall soon travel to a third capital city - that of France.
Not only have I been bopping hither and yon geographically, but I've also been traipsing into other time periods. I started in San Jose in the present, then flew backward to the 17th century in bustling Amsterdam - what a journey! In less than an hour, I'll pop into Paris in the late 18th century - amazing!
The cost of all of my travels?
Less than nine dollars.
In actuality, I was first at the Ogeechee Theatre on the Armstrong campus and then drove over to screening room 11 at the Wynnsong - pardon, AMC - Cinema. Back again on the ASU campus, my next stop is the Black Box of Jenkins Hall.
The two events at the school have been free.
I only incurred cost at the cinema, and most of that was for my popcorn snack.
Truly blessed am I!

I thank the Spanish Film Club for "El Regreso". A 2012 film, it follows the plight of Antonio as he returns to his family home after a decade in New York. His BFF, Cesar, wastes no time in chiding him for not keeping in touch, for throwing away his family and friends like a spoiled 'princess' - very funny!
Also very funny? The clueless Antonio is in the supermarket when a childhood sweetheart, Sofia, finds him... and he is laughably oblivious to her advances - the guy behind me was cracking up, too!
(smile)
I very much enjoyed this film about family and friends and the love of people who have known you for years and years... and the importance of repairing the father-son relationship before one or the other dies.

I thank the Armstrong Masquers for "The Revolutionists", placing me in the City of Lights with four strong women. How will I like this leg of today's journey?
Well, I'll have to let you know!
Now, off I go to 1793 and France!

2 comments:

faustina said...

Well, whaddaya know?
I never did come back and write about "The Revolutionists", did I?
Let me just say this: I couldn't stay for the meet-and-greet afterward because I was totally bereft.
Seriously.
The stories woven into the characters, and the portrayals by these talented college actors, had me in tears.
So, why write this now?
Savannah Repertory Theatre is going to have it this spring of 2024.
I had told them when I went to their performance of "The Lifespan Of A Fact" and announced their 2024 play list that this was a wonderful selection.
I had not told them that I doubt I will attend...
but I'll gladly encourage others to go.
And who knows, maybe I will see it a second time...
but I doubt it.

faustina said...

Here's something about "The Revolutionists", from the playwright.

https://www.laurengunderson.com/all-plays/the-revolutionists