Sunday, January 21, 2018

better afternoon, with pizza, too



Barbara joined me for this matinee of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".
Don't be lulled into thinking this was not a stellar production, just because it was performed by the Savannah Children's Theatre.
You would be quite wrong.
It was positively stellar, from the twinkling lights of Paris in the backdrop to the final ringing in the belltower while Paris burned below.
I don't recall ever being so moved before by this love story.
Perhaps my having viewed "The Shape Of Water" so recently caused this tale to resonate so deeply within me...
but Barbara, like me, was in tears at the end and she had not yet seen that movie.
I firmly believe that this telling of the love that the deformed, sequestered Quasimodo had for the kind, free-spirited, gypsy dancer, Esmeralda, was able to spring to life on that small stage, still vibrant and shining after more than five hundred years.
I want that.
(Sigh.)
Their tale of star-crossed lovers reminded me of a movie I dearly love, "Ladyhawke". It's been more than three decades since that story captivated my heart.
Kudos to Brandon Kaufman and Kendra Norwood for their inspired performances today.
I will certainly try to see the show again in the next two weeks of its run.

Afterward, I had given Barbara the ocean-themed calendar I had saved for her, then gone home.
Time to check on the cats, as I had not yet done so today.

Here are the three of them.
At the bottom is Annie,
the Princess, the one most
starved for love and attention.
The one at the top is Champ,
the only one with tabby stripes
and certainly the shyest -
and best behaved -
of this trio.
In the middle is Elton,
the ringleader and
chief troublemaker.
He's the reason they will be
staying in this room
while here on my turf.
I can't trust him to not
make a break for the door.

Here he is, by himself,
acting like he has no cares.
Mind you, I've had to
spritz him three times
since I entered the room
to back him off and keep him
away from the door.
He just may have to leave.
He is seriously working on my nerves.

Champ is no problem at all.
Ever since Elton and Annie made their
failed attempt to gain control of
my house on Friday afternoon,
he has made damn sure to stay
well away from the door.
As long as he has food, he is quite content
with the living arrangements,
thank you very much.

As for Miss Annie,
she would be happier with much more attention.
At least she is trying to get along with me.
Yesterday afternoon, when I finally went in there,
she made sure to let me know that she was sorry
for her part in the escape on Friday.
Clearly, her brother was at fault...
she would never have done such a thing on her own...
or would she?
I honestly don't know.

But they've been fed, they have fresh water, and the litter boxes have been scooped.
I've been fed, too, with a veggie pizza that had no cheese. I topped it with some shredded cheddar and it was pretty good. I saved a little for breakfast tomorrow.
Now, I await my boys of physics...

No comments: