Sunday, January 21, 2018

rough start, post soup party


I awoke two hours ago in tears.
I was so distraught that I have been sipping a shot of tequila to try to regain control.
Last night's Soup Party at Dawn's had not gone all that well.
I had been looking forward to it for three months, at least, and was even one of the chef-testants again as I had been at my first of these events at her house. For the January gatherings in 2016 and last year, I was simply a taster-judge, so no pressure, you know? Just fun and lots of it.
This year, I had agreed to be one of the four chef-testants when she had asked at the BYOP Party. Did I have a recipe in mind at that time? Well, I thought about making Mama's Salmon Stew... but nothing definite.
In December, I created a flavorful and aromatic soup one morning for breakfast. "Eureka!", I had thought to myself. That would be my offering to the group, as it was unique and new.
Repeated preparations of the soup clinched the deal. These chicks all like new combinations of spices, so this would surely get me out of 4th place this time.
I was so very wrong.
My soup was a complete disaster.
I had added the pasta there at her house, cooking it until al dente, as usual.
So far, so good. And everyone had loved the smells arising from the soup as it cooked...
but the dining did not commence for well over an hour.
By that time, the pasta had become soggy and had absorbed all of the liquid.
It was no longer a soup, but overcooked pasta and spinach.
Sprinkling on the Parmesan cheese had not saved the bland mess.
I was heartbroken, but gamely carried on, apologizing for the lack of taste, stricken by the lack of sound from the other diners.
Of course it came in 4th place.
If there had been a 'worst soup ever' award, it would have taken it.
Add in that I took almost all of the potful home again. No one asked for a container of it. (Well, Chris did, but I doubt Cara had put any aside for him. I think I would have been embarrassed if she had.)
Add in that Elaine called me a liar, three times. I had regaled the group with my tale of my time in Great Lakes, Illinois, and having to wear my Navy greatcoat in mid-April (upon my arrival there) as well as in the first week of August (just before my departure). She hails from Chicago and is one of Dawn's best friends, so I didn't want to alienate her, but she had no qualms about verbally bashing me.
(All of that was even more surreal as she had greeted me with a hug when I arrived to the party and made sure to send me off with another warm hug.)
Add in that I was once again questioned about being there without the outlaw Bunny in tow. I've been coming to Dawn's events for ten years now, with the last four of those years by personal invite from the hostess. Yet, I am still treated as an interloper by several of Dawn's friends. I don't get it.
Add in that I broke Dawn's wine glass, there in her driveway. She had accompanied me to my car, trying to make sure I'd had a good time. I was talking and waving my hands, of course, and knocked her nearly full glass right out of her hand.
So, there you have it.

Here is my prize for being a chef-testant.
Dawn had made sure the four of us received
the same pair of goody bags,
one with the new soup mug, can of soup,
and a 500-recipe soup cookbook.
The other bag for the chef-testants
contained a pretty soup ladle and
a bottle of Tito's Handcrafted Vodka.


I guess I could have cracked that bottle open this morning. Honestly, I did not think of it until just now. The sipping tequila I knew would do the trick.
I only had a few sips, so the shot glass still has tequila in it.
I've cried myself out and my eyes are almost swollen shut.
But I've been to the Soup Party invite page and left an apology, as well as a request that folks make my soup and try it as it should have been.
I hope they will.
I'm going back to bed now.

But first, here's the recipe.

P.S. Soup

For each serving:
1.5 c water
0.75 c frozen spinach leaves
0.5 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried savory

Heat all to a boil, simmer for at least 5 minutes. Enjoy the aroma of the steam!

0.75 c pasta (I like to use elbows for this)

Add pasta, return to a boil. Cook until pasta is to your liking.
Pour in your favorite bowl, then top with parmesan cheese.

(I enjoy this for breakfast on cold mornings... yum!)


No comments: