Friday, January 26, 2018

of zebras and hawks and bubbles


The guy emceeing the event said, "If you understand the zebra on the floating mountain, would you please explain it to me?"
Intriguing question, wasn't it?
Did I understand how a zebra, of all things, came to be under a blue sky, near a tree, beside a lake, which was all atop a craggy formation floating in space?
Of course I didn't.
Did I understand how Okinawa could be the ocean-jutting surface of one portion of a coral reef?
Of course I could not fathom that.
(Get it? That'll be our inside joke!)
However, just because I cannot "see" it, doesn't mean I can't believe it, as my good buddy - and fellow scientist - Jack Skellington would say.
(smile)
Here's what I do see:
German band + Alan Parsons / Chiliean observatory 2011 ---> fulldome experience 2012
Six years later, "Lichtmond: Universe Of Light" arrived at the Planetarium at Georgia Southern University for six showings. The showings were free and open to all, but required a reservation, as the space only has 56 seats.

I snagged a seat for the 6:00 PM show,
wanting to be sure to arrive during daylight.
I had not visited the campus in probably twenty years and wanted to have a chance to explore the university that now includes Armstrong as one of its branches.
For such an adventurous outing,
an auspicious odometer reading was a plus: 193391
- obtained near Grove Hill as I headed out.
i thank You, God!

The Planetarium was on some very pretty grounds!
My first passage on the walkway, I made sure I knew where I was going.
After I explored other campus buildings,
I noticed this sweet array of swirling-galaxy markers, with Mars near the road (upper left), Earth appearing around the right hand bend, then Venus near the sidewalk and lower left.
Where was Mercury?
Right outside the Planetarium, the center of this 'galaxy', of course!
(smile)

Just inside the front door, this is the first image.
Did you recognize it as the Eagle Nebula?
Specifically, as the Fairy of Eagle nebula,
headlined in the photo taken by the Hubble
and released on April 25 of 2005?
I did not.
When I saw this beautiful scene,
I immediately thought of an angel,
dark head and dancer's body
turned toward the viewer,
wisp of white wing peeking
-and peaking -
from its right shoulder,
long legs curving to the left,
as if the angel was leaning in
to tell a secret or bestow a kiss.
"Right time, right place"
was the message I heard.
i thank You, God.

Perhaps you wonder why the Eagle Nebula
should receive such attention there?
Let me ask you this in way of reply:
Don't you recall the scrimmage in the fall?
Of course you do - it was full of firm buns!
(wink wink, nudge nudge)
And what was the name of that team?
The Georgia Southern Eagles!
Of course they adore the Eagle Nebula!

I like it, too, but I may like Monoceros better.
This star cluster just may be the first tattoo
after my 60th birthday this year.
I've been saying for many years that when I turn 60,
I'm going to get every tat I've ever wanted -
the colors will stay bright for the rest of my life
and my wrinkles will be part of the images!
Quite a novel idea, that!
Quite fitting, too, that this magical unicorn, with its meteor showers and 16 planets, will adorn my skin.

You may notice that I have two tickets in this photo.
That's because I enjoyed the film so much that I saw it twice!
I'm so glad I was able to do that.
The music was enchanting, especially "Precious Life" with Alan Parson singing - even though I didn't know it was him!
I've long enjoyed his music and had two of his albums.
And the colorful imagery used throughout - wow!
Dancers formed from ribbons, from bubbles,
from cherry blossoms, from autumn leaves!
No matter that GSU printed the film's name incorrectly -
it was a world of light nonetheless!

Now, if you'll pardon me, "Bubba Ho-Tep" is back from commercial. I need to see whether an elderly Elvis Presley and an even-older - and black - President Jack Kennedy can save the nursing home residents from an evil mummy.
Seriously!
Heck, you know I'm mostly watching because of The King...
but I've grown to have a fondness for Bruce Campbell...
and I have Jim Reed to thank for that.
Thanks, Jim!
(smile)

No comments: