Thursday, June 14, 2018

a birthday in Glennville!


Today was Aunt Barbara's 8th birthday!
I had asked her, earlier in the week,
if she would like to meet for lunch
in her town on this day.
"You're going to be in Glennville?"
I responded, "Yes, I will be, because
that's where you are!"

Next thing I heard was that her daughter,
my cousin Bev in Augusta -
would be joining us for the lunch!
(She came in one shirt, then changed to this
Marvel superheroes top that she made!
It even has Groot on it!)

She hadn't traveled alone, either!
Her younger daughter, Robbie, was on
vacation this week from her job at CVS.
How about that?
This was starting to look like a party!

Uncle John had come along for the lunch, too!
Here, he had given his fork a little vacation
en route to his mouth -
pausing for the photo op, of course!

Robbie was kind enough to take this shot for me.
I kept wondering what was taking so long -
I had no idea her mom photo-bombed me!
(I'll have to get her back for this somehow!)
(smile)

Toward the end of the meal, I managed to take
this lovey-dovey photograph of the lovebirds!
Still going strong after close to twenty years,
right there in the Folsom Farms Country Store,
in front of God and ev'rybody!
(Can't you just hear Ray Stevens singing about it?)
(smile)

This was my very favorite painting in the store!
This friendly cow looks ready to moo, doesn't she?
There were lots of jellies and jams, honey and seasonings, and sundry other goods in the store.
How did I know that?
Well, the only way in or out of the restaurant is
through the store, of course.
Good planning on their part!

After our leisurely lunch, we returned to the homestead.
Cousin Bev asked her mom if they should make me part of the Yahtzee Club that afternoon?
A most definite affirmative was the answer!
Okay by me! I cautioned them that I had not played the game in decades - I mean, not since I was a teen, I do believe - but we went ahead and started anyway, playing on through the rainstorm outside.

I had the lowest score for the first three games.
That's okay! I was still letting the dice get used to me -
that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
By the fourth game, I had figured out how to play...
and I was graced with three dots on all five die -
my first - and only - Yahtzee of six games!
Robbie won that game, but I took the next.
Aunt Barbara and Bev won two each -
all in all, a grand way to spend an afternoon together!

Now, I'm back in Savannah and in time for the first block of films of the 48Hr Film Project.
I may even have time to eat the chirashi I picked up at Publix!
What a blessed day this has been -
i thank You, God!

3 comments:

Aunt Barbara said...

June 15 at 11:15am

Thank you for your talent and thoughtfulness.we enjoyed your being with us so much,love, Aunt Barbara!

2nd cousin Robbie said...

June 15 at 4:09pm

I had a great time yesterday

cousin Bonnie in Tall'ee said...


June 15 at 4:58pm

Looks like a great time! Happy Birthday to my Mother.