Wednesday, June 27, 2018

hinesville, jim says all is well 197791


Maybe I should start by parsing that title, eh?
Sure thing!
Last night, I rode out to Hinesville to spend the
evening with my first niece and her Miyah.
Mostly, she talked and I listened.
Um... "she" being my niece, of course.
She's been under a lot of pressure for months,
between her job and the baby and the treks
back and forth to Savannah.
All will be better after court on July 19.
She made salmon stew for our dinner, using Mama's original recipe (not my variation with tuna).
But when we went to eat it, she did it her mom's way, crumbling large handfuls of saltine crackers until the stew became a porridge.
Whoa, Nelly!
Fortunately, she had oyster crackers for me, allowing
me to eat the soup as it was meant to be.
As I tell folks, everybody's Mama does it differently!

What did we do on our night together?
Fed the baby, bathed the baby, fed us, and went to bed.
The next morning, bright and early, we were back on the road to Savannah.
As I was waiting outside the daycare, this cloud formation swirled above!
See them dancing, the boy on the left, the girl with flowing hair moving off to the right?
Well, I do, and that's what matters.
(smile)
After she returned me to my waiting car, in the lot outside her job at the furniture place on White Bluff, I went home and thought real hard about taking a nap... but I didn't.
Well, not right away.
After all, it was Wednesday and that means Weight Watcher meeting at noon15.
My nap was taken when that, and grocery shopping, were done.
(smile)

Then Jim texted, to remind me of the PFS movie.
"Is it Bubba Ho-Tep?", I asked.
He responded, "Hmmm... (eyebrow cocked)".
Hallelujah! I had guessed correctly!
The mystery movie for the 60th birthday of Bruce Campbell would be this 2002 favorite of mine...
and, as a definite bonus, I had managed to surprise Jim with my knowledge of it!
I talk like I've been watching the movie ever since it came out, even though I only discovered it by chance one evening this past January.
My attraction to it was partly because of my upcoming trip to Las Vegas, for sure.
But I have to credit Campbell's performance, too.
His version of an aging Elvis was spot-on and quite believable - Carolyn even said so!
Sure, the above photo looks like The King in his
early 40's, right?
By that time in his life, he was greeted by throngs everywhere he went.
Craving the anonymity he once knew, he exchanged places with an ETA - pardon, they were called "impersonators" back in the 1970's - then lost the paperwork in a fire.
Bad luck, that, but he ended up in a nursing home in
his older years, just when he was needed to use his
7th-degree black belt against a rampaging mummy.
As he lay dying, he asked God if he had made the right choices, if he had saved lives at the Shady Rest.
The reply - in Egyptian and translated - was
"All is well."
Of course I clapped! Bravo!

Jim told me afterward that this movie was not the one he had first intended to show, but he had changed his mind a few days ago.
i thank You, God!
I even walked away with a memento of this Wednesday evening with friends.
Not one of my three raffle tickets were drawn,
but Jim still rewarded my efforts with this T-shirt from the 2016 Campbellfest of films.
Very nice! Thanks, Jim!

And let me say this again:
i thank You, God.
I have definitely been in the right place, right time yesterday and today.
My odometer has even confirmed it with its palindrome reading that registered as I neared home.
I know that to not be mere coincidence...
don't you?
(smile)

No comments: