Sunday, April 21, 2024

earth day celebration, a la asbury

What was waiting to greet me as I walked across Waters Avenue at Henry Street?

Roses, warmed by gentle kisses from the sun.

Right place, right time, they assured me.

The rose in the foreground, and the rosebud in this shot of the threesome, are deep red.

The middle bloom has a purplish cast.

Very cool.

Here's Reverend Billy Hester, with a guy who purports to be the "biggest fan ever" of musicals.

Nice joke, as everyone knows that's me!

They were doing a big reveal of the third musical to be performed with this year's God On Broadway series: "Avenue Q".

I remember seeing that in 2019, when the Bay Street troupe performed it at Club One - sweet!

Then it made sense why that guy had been chosen to help with the reveal: he's the biggest fan ever of gay musicals!

I admit to having limited knowledge of those, but I've expanded that knowledge greatly over the last decade.

Speaking of me, there I am!

I'm sitting near the window, wearing my "it's spring" dress!

That's because it was already in the upper 70's at 11 AM!!!

Hallelujah!!!

Why were children in motion?

They were off to Godly Play, so they missed the panel discussion with Ellie Covington, Bill Anderson, and David Alley, which was in lieu of Billy's sermon.

So, why are we all standing now?

We were applauding Susie Williams, who has spend much of her life living "green" and helping to make sure the garden space at Asbury Memorial has been lovely for so many decades.

Then we were all standing again to sing "The Trees of The Field", that Jewish song I so love!

I'll be going straight to Greenwich so I can sing it to Mama as I clap my hands over and over!

I may even share the Prayer of Four Directions with her and Frank.

I liked that so much that I asked Billy for a copy of it.

He said this went so well that we'll have "Part Two" next week!

Hooray!!!

Such a wonderful Sunday this has been!

I just may watch it sometime!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Prayer of Four Directions

First, facing East:
God of joy and light, of transformation and new life, we come to You in awe, for You are our God, and we are Your creatures. Fill our bodies with praise and Wonder for all You have created.

Next, facing South:
God of passion, warmth and comfort, five us strength as we walk Your path, knowing the You guide and inspire us. We thank You for Your overflowing goodness and beauty.

Now, facing West:
God of shadow and mystery, of abundance and letting go, we fear surrender. Help us place our trust in You. May we empty ourselves of that which is not life-giving. Draw us into Your love and acceptance and speak to the secret places within.

Last, facing North:
God of nurturing rest, of openness, stillness, and quiet, we ask You to melt our hearts of stone and free our spirits. Nurture seeds of hope deep within, that they might find life in due season.
Let us go in peace.
Amen