Tuesday, April 23, 2024

a*list and another French anime

Oh, yeah: it's Tina Tuesday, and another double header was in play.
I seem to have baseball on the brain of late.
That's the fault of the Eagle Scout, the Great Scott.
He keeps posting photos of him at different ball parks, watching the Braves' teams as they win, lose, and get rained out.
Yes, I do miss baseball...
but that is not the topic at hand, now is it?
Nope!

Movies, that's what this post is all about, movies in Savannah!
What do these three movies have in common?
Well, "Civil War" and "Hard Miles" were both 1 hour and 49 minutes long.
For real!
"Spy x Family Code: White" was 1 hour and 50 minutes long.
I'm serious!
In addition, each would have cost me $10.49, if not for my A*List membership.
Viewing them at AMC cost me nothing, except the monthly fee, which is less than $25.
So, for all you math fans, the three movies would have run $31.47, not including the prices of the three movies from last week's viewing. 
That means, with my savings, I have money to burn on popcorn and such, like this ultra-cool, color-changing cup!
I got that one on Friday, with a special coupon that netted me a cameo popcorn and that sturdy, reusable, plastic cup for only $7.
I like it so much that I bought another today, instead of opting for the Tuesday $5 cameo special.
I think I'll give the cups to Alyssa and Leila... maybe.
They really are nice cups!
What about the movies?
"Spy x Family Code: White", from 2023, was a delightful Japanese anime, watched in Japanese, of course, and with Carolyn!
It features a "dad" who is a spy, a "mom" who is an assassin, and a foster 5-year-old girl who can read minds.
Oh! There's also a dog that can see the future!
I really would like to see that one again.
"Hard Miles", also from 2023, would be worth a second take - get the joke? - if only for the fabulous roadside views along the 726-mile bike ride to the Grand Canyon.
Matthew Modine has one of his best roles ever in it, as a counselor of troubled teens.
Remember me saying that every counselor I've ever known has their own childhood issues that they're working out?
Well, his character certainly fits that model.
What about "Civil War"?
From all the hype, I was expecting something akin to the real-life war zone that erupted in Washington, D.C., on January 6, 2021.
I had actually avoided the movie, fearing that would be the case.
Nope.
It was a battle between war-zone photographers of all ilk, but concentrating on that of a jaded veteran and a naive newbie.
In other words, lots of action with hardly any character development.
I take that back.
We get to watch the newbie transform from a person with heart into a crazed zombie who will risk all for that "perfect" photo, for that money shot.
Sure sounds like "Nightcrawler" to me, just in a different locale.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, thanks, never want to see that again.
As for "Pattie et la colère de Poséidon", I'd gladly watch it again!
Given the lackluster "Epic Tails" instead of directly translating the French to "Pattie and the Wrath of Poseidon" probably didn't help this 2022 anime version of a last voyage of Jason with his decrepit (and dead) crew.
I've always enjoyed Greek mythology, and so apparently did Miss Julie's bunch of seniors from an elderly home down the road.
Brought by the same film company - TAT - that gave me "The Jungle Bunch: Operation Meltdown" two months ago, this one had much nicer-looking animals, except one seagull who must have been a pirate at some time, with his peg-leg, half-wing, and blind eye.
Sure did have a great story, though!
I also liked that it promoted libraries and theatre and imagination.
I'll be looking forward to more of their movies!

No comments: