Friday, April 5, 2024

the bonelord brought NOLA to Savannah!


That's him, in the yellow jersey and cheap sunglasses, waving to the crowd!
The bandleader of Dumpstaphunk had just pointed him out as the reason they were, at long last, here in his home town.
Magnificent!
This concert, by the way, had been my first choice when time had come to select the concerts I wanted to be a volunteer usher for this year.
For real!
That's because I know this Savannah man: Alex Wasily!!!
I cannot count the number of times I heard him play with the Skyelite Jazz Band!!!
 
He's been the Bonelord - i.e., trombone man - for this New Orleans group since 2016.
Here he is in action, playing notes only dogs can hear as he moves the slide out as far as it'll go!
Woohoo!!!
I wended my way up to the stage for that shot!
Also, I went up there to greet Lindsay Norman, the oh-so-proud mama of that jazz wailing man!
She isn't in this photo, but her hubby, Rob, is.
That's him to the right in the pale blue ballcap.
I know it looked like the crowd was a little thin, but that's just because I was up front in the dancing zone.
Bear in mind that this was the 5:30 PM show at the North Garden of the Ships of the Sea Museum.
Lots of folks were there to celebrate the homeboy's return, and even more will come for the later show.
Here, they were about to play "Sexy Ida", which was a hilarious romp!
They ended their set with "Where Do We Go From Here?", from their new album by the same name.
Great silhouette in the video of the bonelord workin' his magic!
They certainly do have a jammin' funky groove thing!!!
I was tempted to stay for the second show...
but the temperature was already headed for the 50's.
Plus, I didn't know if they'd be opening or 
closing in that later SMF concert.
They had been the second act for this concert, with another NOLA group, Cha Wa, as the opener.
I was told these Mardi Gras Indians don't usually travel, so kudos to the Savannah Music Festival for getting them here!
See those headdresses and costumes?
The singer said his weighs 250 pounds - and he's 60 years old and weighs less than that.
Such a workout he gets up on stage!!!
Their music was most def Crescent City-tinged, from the first notes of "My People", through the toe-tappin' "Second Line Girl" and all the way through to their last notes in "Rise Up" an hour later!
As their name proclaims, "Here we come!"
Who knows?
Maybe I'll go see them in Beaufort next month!
I wonder if they need volunteers?
(smile!)

No comments: