Wednesday, April 24, 2024

teachers from the past


Andy Pena started things off on fb by posting the above meme.
"Algebra" was all he said.
 
Then came the textversation, fb style, between him and Lorrie and me.
 
Lorretta Ruggiero got me going with her answer.
"Geometry. Why I understood algebra more is beyond me. I truly believe our brains work differently when it comes to math. Algebra wasn’t my bestie, but geometry is still the worst ex of my life."
I totally agreed with her!

Faustina Smith
"Lorrie, same for me as far as geometry is concerned. It didn't help that the teacher (in eighth grade) came in drunk or stoned every morning. We all started doing better when she crashed her car and wasn't able to be there the rest of the spring."

Lorretta Ruggiero
"Faustina, I switched to a new teacher the second semester and did much better than with the first teacher. The first teacher thought my friend and I were "weird" and made us miserable while she fawned all over the football players. My second teacher went on maternity leave and I got a third teacher. I ended up getting an A on my final exam with her. The teacher definitely makes a difference."
Andy had to jump back in at that point.
 
Andy Peña
"Lorrie - Absolutely. When I was in college, it took me three tries to pass Algebra 101. The first two times, with two different teachers, were disasters. They both did that INFURIATING thing that math teachers do:
TEACHER: Now, a+b = b+a, right?
(I nod in agreement because I DO comprehend that statement.)
TEACHER: Okay, then! Since we know that, anyone with any sense could tell you that this simple formula is true as well: 3ix 3ix+4-5i=(1+ 5i=(1+2)×+21 2i (1+ 3ix+4-7i=r+i× 3ix =x+1x 4-7=次ー2.= =-2=1-2) -2i)x 4-7i 4-7i1+2i 1+2i 4+i+14 -14 5 1-2i1+2 1-2i 1+2i 18 1 r=-+-! 一 5 5"

LOL!
Too bad Barbara Nixon isn't on fb.
As a lifelong math teacher and tutor, it would have been nice to get her take on that.
Come to think of it, I wonder what my cousin, Beverly Prouty, would have to say, or my Aunt Linda Walker?
Both of them are retired math teachers...
but, come to think of it, none of that trio are really into geometry.
Funny!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I took algebra in 7th grade and loved it!
That was at Myers Middle School, with Mrs. Gaskins.
I think her first name may have been Loretta, but I'm not sure.
How many twelve-year-olds keep track of stuff like that?
Still, she was excellent, and I credit her with starting my love of science.