Friday, October 11, 2024

butterflies, tacos, and a flashback

I took out some trash and recycling and caught movement out of the corner of my eye!

The butterflies and moths were supping on lantana nectar!

My bushes aren't nearly as lush as they have been in the past, but plenty of  insects thought they were still lovely!

My heart was filled with gratitude to be able to provide this oasis to the wandering travelers!

Soon enough, it was time to go see family at Jalapenos of Sandfly!

The Smiths & Kamerons Friday Fiesta had arrived, and all the usual suspects were there!

I ordered three crunchy beef tacos again, and I'm glad I did.

Not for my, but for brother Tony!

He was glad to have one, with its flashback to dinners of our youth!

But be not confused - that's not the flashback referred to in the post title.

I'm getting to that, truly I am.

After dinner, I'd taken my busy, vibrant woman self over to Jenkins Hall on Armstrong, looking forward to a night of free improv with "The Last laugh".

Sadly, that must have been cancelled.

So I bopped over to AMC with my A*List in hand, hoping to get lucky.

Fortunately, the new movie, "Saturday Night", was in previews - 

right place, right time!


That movie was absolutely perfect for me tonight!

I was only 15 years old on October 11, 1973, when the show first aired.

What a flashback to that very night, tonight, exactly 51 years later.

Right place, right time, for a movie I'd not been that excited about... and that just may net me a trip to New York City!

The movie, almost a documentary, absolutely nailed the frenetic pacing of everyone involved behind the scenes of any show - whether a musical, a play, or a TV broadcast - in the last hour or so before the show goes live.

The casting director is to be commended, too, for perfectly assigning roles to actors that captured the look, sound, and mannerisms of the actual people in that first episode of the "Saturday Night" show.

How wonderful to see again faces long gone: Gilda Radnor, John Belushi, George Carlin, Jim Henson, Andy Kaufman, Michael O'Donoghue, and Billy Preston.

Bravo!

I was in search of laughs... and this movie certainly delivered!

Maybe I'll even give the television show, "SNL", another shot tomorrow night.

I've been out of the habit of watching it for years.

(smile!)

No comments: