Sunday, October 13, 2024

avenue Q at henry and waters

If I had been as early as I was last week, I might have missed my pew mates. 
See the thin woman in the blue dress, standing there in the middle?
She's Ellen and to her right is Amanda Kulkowski.
If not for Amanda saying my name, I might have passed right by, given my inability to spot people in a crowd.
But she did!
So I'm right there, beside Amanda, with my long hair loose and down for the cooler weather.
Directly behind me is Ryan McCurdy.
He, like Amanda, greeted with with a big hug -
how wonderful to be there with them this morning!
Why were we standing?
We were singing "happy birthday", facing the on-stage camera, to a house-bound old lady.
We could just as easily have been standing to belt out "Amazing Grace", though!
Did I say "belt it out"?
That means it was to the tune of "The House Of The Rising Sun"!!!
I do so love that version!
In fact, I love it so much that after the service, I fixed myself a snack at Holliday Hall and headed out to Greenwich, where I sang the first and last stanzas for Mama, Frank, George, and Miss Zaida.
That was great fun!
I was delighted to see that the big trees had weathered Hurricane Helene well.
I made a little stack of branches that were down.
Plus, I gathered up the bouquets and loose flowers that had been blown around.
Glad I keep large take-out bags in my car for when I have trash detail there.
 
Oh, I have just rambled on and not said a word about the GOB service, haven't I?
Well, the stage was populated with puppets this time!!!
"Avenue Q" was the featured choice, and we even had Ken Roberson - the choreographer of the 2003 musical - in the audience with us!!!
One of the songs, "There's A Fine, Fine Line", was sung by Alex Swanger as she operated the puppet, Kate.
Such a fun tune about breakups... but with a bit of a snarky side.
I admit, I wasn't very familiar with this musical, as I haven't seen it again since it was performed at Club One back in August of 2012.
I hadn't written much about it on fb, and I wrote nothing about it in my blog.
I feel sure it was because of the snark, and the mean tone underlying the words of nearly every song.
That's just isn't my thing, n'est-ce pas?
But it was good to see the puppets and be reminded of Angela Beasley.

No comments: