Tuesday, October 8, 2024

snap to my rescue!!!

I've been thinking about applying for nutrition aid for a couple of years, but didn't.
Was I embarrassed about needing to do so?
No, that wasn't the issue.
Was I concerned about looking for a financial hand from the government?
Nope, that wasn't on my mind, either.
Was I possible thinking they might deny me the benefit?
Ding, ding, ding!
Yes, honestly, that was what I didn't want: to be told "No".
However, after spending time in Kissimmee with my first niece and seeing first-hand the many financial benefits of her having SNAP, I finally took the leap...
and they caught me with open arms!
Mine is called Senior SNAP - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for those who are 60 years of age or older.
Not only was I approved, but the card has already arrived!
It even has funds already on it, ready to use!
I applied online in mid-September, and the approval is dated from that first application date, so the funds cover part of last month, plus this month in full.
i thank You, God!
 
I had just bought groceries before Hurricane Helene took out the power.
Having to throw out all that new food was so very hard on me.
I even used two bags of ice to try to save some of it, but to no avail.
Plus, all the other stuff in the fridge - sauces, dressings, minced garlic and herbs - all that extra stuff needed in bits and pieces for making a meal - all that had to be trashed, too.
Then there were the bags of frozen vegetables and the pork loin in the freezer... 
as well as two pork chops from the Texas Roadhouse Family Meal deal in early September... 
and an entire box of Outshine popsicles that had not even yet been opened.
I found out on October 1st that I was approved.
I fully expected that the hurricane would have delayed the processing of the EBT card, but maybe it didn't, as the card was waiting for me after my luncheon with Yvonne and her new neighbor, Toni.
Yvonne has been taking her around to local places, as Toni is from Long Beach, CA.
They've already done Kayak Kafe and Spanky's, but my fellow Armstrong Pirate didn't know about soul food at Geneva's!
This was my first time to the new location, off Skidaway instead of Victory, so I didn't know that water wasn't free.
But I knew to recommend the fried chicken and the cornbread to the newcomers!
Geneva's cornbread has been legendary for decades!
And, after our leisurely luncheon, I walked them around the building to enjoy the murals.
Very nice, aren't they?
Now, I'm going to make a list for the grocery story.
It'll be good to take advantage of soup sales with this cooler weather.
Then, I'm going to check on Hurricane Milton, in the Gulf.
No need to restock perishables if the electricity might go out, right?
But what a relief to know I have the funds from SNAP to do so,
when the time is right.
i thank You, God.

No comments: