Wednesday, October 2, 2024

mexican, murder, m&ms


Having missed out on my usual Friday fare due to Hurricane Helene, I remedied that.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't have wanted to be this close to the bar, but no objection tonight.
From this vantage point at the Jalapenos of Wilmington Island, I had a near-perfect view.
View of what, you may ask?
One of those big TVs that bars keep on sports channels.
Before I left home, I'd started watching the Detroit Tigers in their bid for a Wild Card for the American League in the MLB playoffs.
The afternoon game had not been going well, but it was on so I watched, hoping.
Top of the 8th, the Houston Astros are in the lead, 2-1.
Detroit scored four runs that inning, with three coming in from a double by 31-year-old Andy Ibáñez, after the Astros' pitcher helped by loading up the bases for him.
Wow.
How I would have loved to see that baseball game in person!
It's been a while since I've been in the stands to witness a game's outcome changing due to a change in pitcher.
Very nice for the Tigers!

The game was over about the same time that my Mexi-Chicken Bowl was all gone.
Off to the Tybee Post Theater!
I'd planned to buy popcorn and drink there, but I'd paid three of my dollar bills to Juan.
Why did I do that?
He'd given me a discount on my dinner, essentially making it free for me.
Well, actually, that would have been courtesy of Betsy Kameron.
She gave me a Jalapenos gift card for Christmas and I still had $12.00 on it.
Dinner tonight came to $12.83, so my plan was to use the gift card, then pay the balance with a credit card, so I could leave a tip.
When Juan saw the gift card balance, he lowered my tab, so the card covered it.
How very kind of him!
So I was kind right back.
(smile!)
The peanut M&Ms became my dessert... and, yes, they went on the credit card.
I still spent only what I'd planned to, and that was good!
 

Oh, did I mention that my entertainment was free?
It most certainly was.
When I'd seen the event listed, I'd reserved four seats, but I ended up the only one, as none of my friends, including the physicist, could make it.
A free premiere of GPB's new show, "The Marlow Murder Club", from PBS Masterpiece, and they didn't want to go.
I'm so glad I was there!
Here's the premise: a retired archaeologist, with a penchant for crossword puzzles, skinny-dipping, and words like "kerfuffle", moves to the small town of Marlow and gets involved with solving the murder of her neighbor.
I was so rapt that the ending caught me unaware and I gasped!
I've just let Jim Casey know about this new series, as I know he will enjoy it.
October 27th, that's when it'll be on TV.
I'll be sure to watch it, too.
Right place, right time.
 

Free Mexican fare with a side of baseball, free program pilot at Tybee, and a second event involving an archaeologist, too, at this venue, plus a lovely evening's drive.
The air is clear and clean, the weather song sings of fall coolness at night, and the heat index has taken a breather.
Marvelous!

No comments: