Wednesday, October 9, 2024

milton, kirk, and leslie

The physicist and I have some of the most surreal textversations.
Case in point: the one from Sunday afternoon.
 
me: Just checking on you. How are you doing?
 
him: Hey thanks. Not too bad, I am working on a paper right now. What up with you?
 
me: Checking on Milton and Kirk and Leslie, making sure I know where they're headed.
 

[As of 11AM Monday, Hurricane Kirk was heading to Great Britain and France.]
 

[As of 11AM Monday, Hurricane Leslie was heading northwest toward the Sargasso Sea.]
 

[By 11 AM Tuesday, Hurricane Leslie was showing signs of dying right there, just as Hurricanes Lee and Margot had done last year.] 
 

[Then, at 11PM tonight, a curious thing was revealed: Hurricane Leslie had strengthened to Category 2 status and had turned toward the northeast.
That did not surprise me, as my monitoring of the NHC site foreshadowed that change.]

[Very early this morning, a low pressure system in the Atlantic - that orange X - had a 60% chance of becoming yet another tropical storm.]
 

[By 11AM this morning, Hurricane Milton, at Category 4 strength, was about to make landfall prior to charging across the width of central Florida. At that same time, the probability of that low pressure system strengthening dropped to 40%.]
 

[That probability dropped down to 10% twelve hours later as that low pressure system was caught between Hurricanes Milton and Leslie as Milton continued its charge east.]
 

[Hurricane Milton, by tonight a Category 2 after landfall, continued its speedy push toward the Atlantic coast of Florida.
I surmise that it was also pushing that former low pressure system, as well as Hurricane Leslie, across the Atlantic Ocean to send surf against west Africa.
I'll keep a close eye on both Milton and Leslie, but I feel safe in restocking the fridge.]

him: Are those the names of your brother's dogs?

me: LOL! Hurricanes. 
 
him: Oh those are storms. I literally just read an email from university communication saying they were keeping an eye on Milton.

him: The only Milton I can really think of was the writer.

me: This Milton is down in the gulf. The other two are out in the Atlantic. Kirk is sending surf to England (which I know Robb Worthington is going to love).

him: That's happened before. I think that was how the Spanish armada was destroyed... may be if I recall correctly.
 
I think he is correct on that.
That's the point in our conversation when we both decided a movie break would be good.
I've already hit on that earlier today.
(smile!)

No comments: