Thursday, October 3, 2024

happy trio on my dance card


"Well, that's a nice change!" 

For sure, and one much needed after Hurricane Helene hustled through here, laying waste to trees and leaving folks powerless. 
Power crews from all over the southeast - and, rumor has it, from as far away as Canada - have been working from sunrise to sunset, nonstop. 
Folks didn't have an evacuation order this time, as Helene was supposedly to be running along the Georgia-Alabama border, only no one had cleared that with her.
That means that after all the hullabaloo was over in the wee small hours of Friday morning, Savannah and Chatham County were full of residents still.
No traffic lights, no electricity, and the only stores open were Home Depot and Lowe's.
Yikes.
That's what I found when I had ventured out Friday, hoping NCG Cinema was open.
Nope, it was not, so no "Megamind" for me.
Back home I went, and back home I stayed. 
The next day, about mid-afternoon, I went for a drive to charge my phone, but the charger died and went to hell.

I found myself all alone in the AMC parking lot, all its lights gone dark.
Although the traffic lights were out, KFC and Chick-Fil-A had been open for business.
So was Olive Garden!
So, there I stayed for a leisurely meal, with leftover Chicken Margherita for Sunday's breakfast, if I was lucky (and I was!).
Christina's Aunt Brenda was there, too, so I spoke with her a bit.
 

Then, on the way home, I drove past Tony and Laura's and pulled up in their driveway.
They had cooked ribs and were about to go to my house and give me some!
Instead, I came by later and watched the Georgia Bulldogs get trounced by the Alabama Crimson Tide.
Ouch.
Still, I know my brother enjoyed having me there to talk sports with him.
I enjoyed being there, too, with him and her.
And just how was it that we could do that?
They had a generator, and the media outlets were up and running, too.
 

Sunday, I went to Memorial Stadium, to fetch home two bags of free ice.
Laura had told me about it, so I had hopes of saving some of the perishables.
Nope, everything in the freezer was melting and had to be tossed.
I still had hope for the cheese, yogurt, and some other things in the fridge, so I worked on all of that, as well as cleaning all of surfaces, for about three hours.
Disheartened by having to throw away five bags of food, I went for a drive.
Hallelujah!!! The AMC was open!!!
John even plugged in my phone and let it charge for a while.
I stayed and watched "Beetlejuice Beetlejuice" for the third time and had my spirits lifted.
(Hey, there's a pun in that line.. found it?)


Monday, I took myself to "The Wild Robot" again, with Sandy coming along.
This time, we watched in the Big-D, and I cried in the same places as I had before.
She very much liked it, too, and we met with Carolyn coming in as we were leaving.
And why was she there?
Partly because I'd let her know the cinema was open, but also to see that movie!
(She told me after that she very much liked it, too!)
 

Sandy and I tried to dine at Jason's Deli, but my order was so bad I returned it.
Dark was coming on fast, so she went home and I drove to Cici's.
Pizza, air conditioning, and "Nightmare Before Christmas" on the TV - perfect.
I sat right there and watched as the goblins tried "Making Christmas"...
and Sally tried to dissuade Jack from his plan...
and Santa was left with Oogie Boogie by Lock, Shock, and Barrel...
until Sally tried to rescue him, while Jack was being shot down as a fake Santa Claus.
Yes, I do so love that movie, and could hear the songs even with the sound off.
(smile!)

Then Laura texted: their power was on!
Dood even drove down to my house: my power was on, too!
And so it was.
Isn't that little yellow light the most beautiful thing in the world?
Yes, yes it is.
i thank You, God, and I thank Georgia Power, too.
Four days was too long for me this time, eight years after Hurricane Matthew.
That was different, though, as I was prepared for it.
I'll make damned sure to be better set should any other hurricanes come to visit.
Speaking of visit, I was expecting dinner and the new Coppola movie with the physicist.
That was to have been on Tina Tuesday.
However, J-Dawg has been having a rough go of it with his divorce.
We ended up sitting on the front porch steps for two hours instead.
Wednesday, we were to give it another go, as lunch and a movie, but that fell through on his end and I went ahead with my evening plans.
 

That left today to get in my third dance on this A*List, so I chose "Scarygirl" as my partner.
Good choice to go with the Australian flick from 2023!
I made sure to talk it up to Tom and Breeanna and they plan to see it now.
Like the other two movies on this A*List, the movie has a very good story, has excellent characters, and features voices that are not often heard.
"Scarygirl" also talks about being a 12-year-old foster kid, having physical differences from others, and the need to work together to solve problems.
Good messages in this post-hurricane, pre-election, state of Georgia.

No comments: