Thursday, October 10, 2024

rockwell reception!

I know, that sounds like a party for the Flintstones!
Didn't Fred's boss have that surname?
Hahahaha!
Wrong Rockwell!
This little gathering was at the Jepson.
It seems like forever since I was at one of these!
Such classy little hors-d’Ĺ“uvre we had, too!
That's butterbean hummus flatbread topped with ginger shrimp in the foreground.
The ball is mushroom risotto drizzled in butterscotch - that was definitely dessert!
Plus, there were mini-tacos of mojo pork - yum!
My thanks to the Wildflower Cafe for the catered affair... such a delicious tapas dinner!
Thanks to Vicki, too, as my dining companion there.
She volunteers at the SKIO aquarium!
(smile!)
That little feast, with me savoring at least three rounds of each nosh, served me well for the discussion ahead!
The museum has a new exhibit, "Norman Rockwell And Peers: Illustrating Childhood", with an informal Q&A between Erin at the Jepson and Judy Goffman Cutler, the woman who first drew interest to the original artwork done by illustrators of the first half of the 20th century.
Of those, Norman Rockwell is certainly the one I know best, remembering his covers on various magazines from my youth, as well as reprinted on calendars I've owned over the years.
That's Judy on the right, in pink, and she was so very informative about the history of Rockwell and other American Illustrators.
I guess so: she runs a museum in Rhode Island about what is left of their art.
Of the hundreds of magazine covers that Rockwell's art adorned, very few of his original paintings exist.
Those paintings were essentially regarded as drafts by the printing industry, and, once the image was set for the issue to be printed, there was no need to keep the painting.
Can you imagine???
However, that's the way it was.
Illustrators were not regarded as artists back then.
The only paintings that survived were ones that Rockwell, or other illustrators, kept for themselves or gave to friends.
Mind-boggling, isn't it?
I very much look forward to perusing the 20 canvases of his - as well as those of Maxfield Parrish, J.C. Leyendecker, Ethel Franklin Betts, Jessie Willcox Smith, and N.C. Wyeth - on some other occasion, but I needed to rescue my car.
See, I had parked in a space that I knew wasn't valid, but I did it anyway.
I figured that if I got a ticket, I'd let that be my "local citizen" freebie from Savannah Parking Services for the year.
But guess what?
No ticket!
i thank You, God!
(smile!)

Now, I'm going to enjoy a free musical!
Comcast has rewarded me with my monthly $1 Movie Night, which I'm spending on 2007's "Enchanted", with the fabulous singing of Amy Adams and James Marsden!
Seriously, who knew he could sing as well as play Sonic's adoptive dad?
(smile!)

No comments: