Thursday, June 29, 2017

God be with ye, David



I don't know why I couldn't seem to remember that his birthday was the same as Mama's.
David Johnson was a year younger than she was, and outlived her by sixteen years.
This morning, the man was laid to rest at Forest Lawn, between Bonaventure and Greenwich.
Even so, he had one last prank to pull on all of us.
As we were gathering under the canopy for the preacher's last words, the heavens burst forth with rain.
Not gentle, misting stuff - oh, no.
This was a great pouring of streams of cool water!
I can just hear him now: "C'mon, everybody, huddle up together!"
(smile)
That's one way to unite the family!

Family is what the man was all about and that was his lasting lesson.
When he died on Monday morning, his beloved wife of 57 years by his side, their five grown children were there.
Family stays together, family provides strength during hard times, family is love.
I am blessed to have been included in the Johnson family, even though I'm an Out-law.
David and Venita always welcomed me to their backyard festivities, especially these last ten years since I became a single woman again.
The last of those was just one month ago. At the graduation party they hosted for Chelsea, David was presiding over the back porch, right by the door. That meant everyone interacted with him all evening long, sharing jokes, talking sports, giving grins.
Very nice!
When David grinned, you could see the five-year-old boy still in him, loving laughter!

I was very much a part of their family.
My Outlaw Melinda made sure of that. (She is the second Johnson daughter.)
When my first niece called on Monday to invite me to the post-death family luncheon at Carey Hillard's, I went. I was sure to hug every member of the family - Venita, Brenda, Melinda, Tammy, Robin, and David,Jr. - as well as my first niece, Christina, my nephew Michael, and my niece Chelsea - and offer my condolences.
After all, I know how it feels when your Daddy dies.
How blessed I am to have been included at this healing family meal!
How grateful I am that Robin had been posting on facebook so often!
I had known of David falling and breaking his leg two weeks ago.
I had known of his heart attack last Thursday.
I had prayed for strength for the Johnson family.
My prayers for comfort will continue.

The preacher had described David as an "honorable, godly, faithful man."
I completely agree that those three words do capture his character.
"Honorable"
That hearkens back to his duty to country in the US Air Force. He completed his service in 1961, receiving an honorable discharge and returning home to his wife (and their sweet car). (Hey, that vehicle was even mentioned in the funeral service!)
Two current members of the USAF were present at Forest Lawn, regaling us with an inaudible "Taps" during the downpour and bestowing the folded flag to Venita.
Very nice.
"Godly"
David and Venita had first come to Bible Baptist Church in 1961, upon the invite from his mother. The Johnsons then became members and were re-baptized in 1963. (The preacher even showed us the baptism records!)
Thereafter, the carpenter and his wife were always present. Sometimes, they even rode in on his other love, his Harley Davidson motorcycle. Sometimes, he came in without her, to sneak doughnuts and cookies while performing functions for the church (and ignoring his diabetes).
He didn't use words so much to proclaim his Christianity; he let his actions speak for him.
After all, actions speak louder than words.
I'm glad the preacher recognized that valuable quality.
"Faithful"
He and Venita had a blessed marriage.
On January 8th, they celebrated their fifty-seventh wedding anniversary.
He had been as true to her as she to him for all of those years, teaching their children what being a couple was all about.
They always supported each other, cared for each other, were loving to each other.
I am so happy to have had that shining beacon in my life, so glad that they had that love to give to their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
i thank You, God.

17 comments:

outlaw Bunny said...

Bunny Jones Roberts
June 30 at 9:17am

I'm sorry Tina. I love you more than you know.

Kathy M said...

Kathy Mabry
June 30 at 7:45am

Sorry for your loss 🙏🙏🙏

lunch lady Sarah said...


Sarah Logan-Reynolds
June 30 at 6:52am

So sorry for your loss

Robb of HVJ '76 said...


C Robb Worthington
June 30 at 5:05am

condolences

Caroline of HVJ '76 said...


Caroline Switzer Verner
June 30 at 2:17am

Oh Tina, I am so very sorry. Thinking of you...

Sandy said...


Sandra Cherise Karlin
June 30 at 1:33am

So sorry, Tina. {{HUG}}

Lisa in AZ said...

Lisa Wesley- Smith

Praying that God gives you not only peace during this time of sorrow and loss, but much strength to get through and carry on during this time, as well!

nephew Stephen said...

Stephen Morgan

Sorry for your loss, love you

musician Joe said...

Joe Nelson

Sorry for your loss Tina.

Sue in Canada said...

Sue Kosokowsky

Many prayers to you and his family

Fae, from back in the day said...

Fae Hill Kameron

I am so sorry for your loss.

Tony (Patrick) said...


Tony O'Conner
July 1 at 3:26am

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Lizz, my bfM said...


Lizz Smith
July 1 at 3:26am

In my prayers luv ya hugs

I know that feeling...my sister in May then Steve exactly a month later...but my thoughts and prayers are with you...not sure who this gentleman was to you but obviously he was important, big hugs and thank you for your card - it meant a lot to me.

Jason of the Odd Lot said...


Jason Arons
July 1 at 1:33am

Faustina, so sorry for your loss. My condolences and hugs next time I see you

Nancy in TN said...

Nancy Oliver

Sending lots of love your way!

lunch lady Betsy said...

Betsy Jane Beck Homan

Big hugs for you my friend

Christina said...

Thank you for the reminder of Grandpa. He is still very loved and missed. I still thi k of him when o catch myself sucking my thumb.