Sunday, June 25, 2017

piano and bollywood with boo!



What a glorious Sunday, including watching "CBS Sunday Morning" with the bfe and Lika! There was a lovely story about the folks handmaking Murano glass - an old tradition - as well as one marking the ten-year anniversary of the iPhone - a modern tool.
(In case you're wondering: I still do not do "smart" phones.)

Mid-afternoon, I joined Barbara to "Support Something Grand!"
Literally.
The fundraiser kick-off was held for the eventual 'purchase' of the 1918 Sohmer baby grand piano used for today's performances.
They don't make pianos like this anymore.
Literally.
The 5-foot mahogany baby grand has ivory keys.
The five students, ranging in age from 14 to 17 years old, had never had the thrill of playing such an instrument, one touched by countless pianists in the past hundred years since it was built.
Literally.

The piano was donated by Chris Jurgensen to Savannah Friends of Music.
So... what's with the fundraiser?
SFoM has supported music projects for youth since 2003 for this seaport.
This latest venture seeks to support the new performance auditorium at the Esther F. Garrison School For The Arts. (I'm hoping this new venue will help offset the loss of Muse Arts Warehouse.)
So... how does the fundraiser work?
Patrons may 'purchase' one of the eighty-eight keys for two hundred dollars. There are fifty-two white keys and thirty-six black keys, spanning a seven-octave range. The 'natural' notes of an octave (white keys) are, in order: C D E F G A B. The black keys provide the 'accidental' notes, aka, the sharps and flats denoted as F♯/G♭, G♯/A♭, A♯/B♭, C♯/D♭, and D♯/E♭.
That means there are seven natural 'F' keys and seven 'F sharp' keys.
I have not yet 'bought' one of them... but I sure do want to!
I sure do.

My favorite piece today was played by Madeleine Pelli. The 14-year-old was the only one who played two pieces. For her solo, she had selected a modern work, "Gizeh", from a young composer, Oskar Schuster. As this interview shows, he is quite interesting.
I took time to speak with her afterward. I was sure to mention Lovre Marušić, the young man I had been so taken with last September. Glad to know others have also recognized his talent! (Of course I had not recalled his name earlier, but I'm sure she can locate him on the internet.)

Boo and I dined at Carrabbas for our late lunch, early dinner that rainy day. I still had a coupon for a free birthday appetizer! We dined on a bowl slap full of Prince Edward Mussels! That allowed me to discover that I'm not that crazy about that shellfish. Glad she liked them!
Then, amazingly, we still had time to make the 8:15 screening of "Tubelight"! Off to the Royal in Pooler we sped, making it in plenty of time.
i thank You, God!
I had very much liked Salman Khan in the two Bollywood movies starring him in 2015. It certainly didn't hurt that he had Shah Rukh Khan guesting as a renowned magician in this one. Salman was phenomenal as a mentally-challenged older brother who develops self-confidence thanks to his younger brother.
I need to remember to tune Kevin in to this one... he'll like it, I know.
Boo and I certainly did!

No comments: