Friday, June 9, 2017

in search of the lion of blowing rock


What a day, what a day!
This has been Day One of Barbara's vacation.
We didn't even get started until mid-afternoon!
Then, it was off in search of a barbeque joint to whet our whistles!

The Pedaling Pig was our goal today.
Located in Banner Elk, it was just up the road.
Nice logo, ain't it?
(smile)
Why is the pig on a bicycle?
Well, the folks who started it three years ago
were biking enthusiasts.
How 'bout that?

They knew a thing or two about smoking meat, too!
Offering pork barbeque (for Barbara) as well as beef brisket (for Sandy), there was something for everyone.
Me?
I had the five sides as my plate!
Brunswick stew, collard greens, green beans, bbq slaw, and cucumbers with red onions - my, oh my!
I added bread pudding, too, and got the last slab of it!
I shared that with my friends - I did!

After our sumptuous feast,
we hung around for a while.
First, we cruised the tourist info center
for destination ideas.
Then, we strolled around outside,
admiring the cooler day and
the sounds of the water wheel.
Very soothing!


Then, off we went to buy groceries.
After nineteen miles of twisty, curvy, narrow two-lane road, we found the Food Lion in Blowing Rock, North Carolina.
Here's the thing: we had thought we had the address for the one in Banner Elk.
Oops.
Then again, it actually worked in our favor.
You see, the Food Lion we went to was larger and had a much greater selection of fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as rotisserie chicken.
I don't know that it was worth the extra driving time...
Sandy would probably say "no", as the roads made her nauseated...
but I did enjoy dancing with the car as I drove along.
(smile)
That's not to say I want to do so on a regular basis, of course.
Sometimes, it's nice to be able to enjoy the scenery without fear of falling into it.
(smile)

Upon our safe passage back to the condo,
Barbara went off for a walk.
I went in search of the
little waterfall we could hear.
All I found was this tiny one...
but that counts!

It was very close to this cool sign.
"Grandparents at play", indeed!
It could well have been referring to us!

And while I was chortling to myself, I noticed a movement...
and then I saw another...
were they two dogs???
Nope!
We were in deer country, right beside our complex!
See that big brown beast near the center?
White-tailed deer!

Why the photo of the little red fire hydrant?


Well, because it matches this sign!
(smile!)
Both are rather reassuring, aren't they?

No comments: