Thursday, June 22, 2017

off to see the sparrow!


"First a wizard and now a bird?"

Well, not quite. There were birds in the movie - some quite scary looking, too! - but they were not the draw.

"Be ye speakin' of that ferocious pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow?"

Hahahaha! I don't know that anyone would call him 'ferocious'! He seems to delegate that sort of thing, when he can't sidle right past it.
(smile)
But, you are correct, dear!
I have a free ticket at Regal Cinema burning a hole in my pocket. I foresee "Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" to be the cure for it!
Maybe I will even include it as part of my SKFF, too.
Disney certainly regards the movie as kid-friendly; why wouldn't I?
(smile)
Yes, I know in the past years I haven't included current-run movies in the SKFF, but I'm going to do so this time around. Not only do I want some current favorites in the series, but I also don't want it to seem that this year has had such slim pickings. Because it most definitely has... three cinemas in town are no longer participating in the weekday screenings on summer mornings.
So, that said, I've already established that "The Wizard of Oz", seen at the Frank Victory this morning, was part of my SKFF. What other films have been included this past month?
Well, I began the Summer Kid Film Festival on May 22 with those beloved Guardians in "GOTG:V2", featuring Rocket in my blog.
Then my trip to Daytona Beach intervened...
but I caught "Moana" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" on the 30th and 31st of May, respectively, as mid-afternoon family films at the Tybee Post Theatre.
Then, also on May 31st, I went back in time at the Pooler Stadium Cinema for "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial". So very sweet to see the young Drew Barrymore!
(While true that these four were part of the Faustina Film Festival, that would certainly not exclude them from inclusion in other cinema-related viewing bonanzas. So... there!)

"Yes, dear. Films gain entry into multiple film festivals all over the world. You can certainly have some of the same pieces in the film festivals you create."

Thank you!
That's all I'm wanting to do here. Some movies definitely merit being in multiple festivals!
Okay, so I had ended with the last day of May for the SKFF.
It wasn't until June 4th that I had another movie. Then, it was a repeat of the 2017 musical, "Beauty and The Beast". Wasn't Dan Stevens marvelous as the Beast? (I didn't even recognize him two days later in "Norman: The Moderate Rise And Tragic Fall Of A New York Fixer", with no mane of hair swirling about his face.) I had been so enchanted by this movie when I had seen it on March 21st!

"Oh! That was a Tuesday! Did you see it for Tina Tuesday with Kevin?"

No, I did not... I saw it after my 'date' with him.
(smile)
We had gone to Buffalo Wild Wings (because he was "having withdrawals and starting to twitch"), then bopped off to watch Ice Cube in fun fluff, "Fist Fight".
That was at the Victory Cinema.
After we were done, and he had returned me to my car, I returned to the Carmike Cinema for my nightcap. Wonder of wonders, Chris Soucy and Megan and a bunch of others sat down with me! Good times! A woman I didn't know had stopped beside me on her way out to say that she could tell that I had really enjoyed it!

"How very nice! I guess you must have been sitting up in the first few rows?"

Quite right. She and her companion had been sitting quite a few rows higher.

"That's what I had figured. What other SKFF films have you seen?"

Well, the next up was on a Tina Tuesday, that is, June 6th. No dinner with Kevin, sadly, but he and his pastry chef were present for the movie. The bfe, Boo, and Sandy were also there for "Wonder Woman" - the brand-new one - at the Spotlight. Pretty good movie!
That would be the last SKFF entry until more than a week later. I was up in North Carolina for Boo's vacation, you recall.
And the movie I saw was actually at ten in the morning! That qualifies "SING" as a bona fide kid movie!
(smile)

"So it does! Good for you!"

It truly was! I had not realized how much I had missed seeing the morning movies among all the other kids! I resolved to see two more kid-themed movies that very day, to make up for having missed the Tuesday and Wednesday morning screenings.
Upon returning home, I found the 1991 version of "Beauty and The Beast", available for free ON DEMAND. Hooray! How delightful to see the differences between this animated film and the new musical!
Later, I went to the Spotlight (now Cinegrand), which is not showing the morning movies... but did have "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie" for my viewing pleasure.

"Please tell me you're joking."

No, I did find it humorous, and rather innocent. You just have to think like an 8-year-old boy.
(smile)
Plus, you know how much I enjoy the friendship between Shawn and Gus in "Psych", right?
And you must recall that the show often has an opening sequence set when they were ... well... young boys.
Now, if you were to animate their characters and name them Harold and George... there you go!
Truly, the movie really did work for me!

"Yes, dear, if you say so. At least the ratings would lead one to believe others also see merit in it."

You bet your sweet bippy.
(smile)
That brings me to my next trio, which, although not seen on the same day, did have overlapping motifs.

"Hahaha! Do tell."

Well, the first of the set was seen last Sunday. I speak of the medieval tale, "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword", of course. So, we have the knights, the Round Table, mages, Saxon invaders, hab ich recht?
On a Kevin-less Tuesday, I then saw "Transformers: The Last Knight" - pretty incredible! Not only did it have the knights, the Round Table,et al, but it also had beings from other worlds! Space aliens and medieval lore! Nice combination and great sword play once more!
That was at night, as I had overslept and missed the morning movie.
Not true on Wednesday! I was up and at 'em for "Monster Trucks" at the Regal! First off, I had never seen it before. What a rarity! Secondly, it had souped-up trucks in it - what's not to like about that?
No ancient history tie-ins.... but it did have space aliens!
Nice way to finish the trio, don't you agree?

"Quite nice, quite nice. I know how much you like coincidences and three of a kinds."

Yep!
And so now I've gone from seeing the Wizard to seeing the Sparrow... and off I fly!
(smile)

No comments: