Wednesday, June 14, 2017

no place like home... with bananas!


My first day back and what do I have?
A doubleheader with Mister Willie!


He even threw out a few shouts to the Savannah Bananas today in their quests to best the Gastonia Grizzlies.
Sadly, 'twas to no avail.
The games were tight and low-scoring, but when all was said and done, the home team had not won.
No worries, though.
He and I talked of travels, mostly. He spoke of his trip in his late twenties to Nashville with his wife and children, and them being the only black people there. (So that would have been around 1966, as he is a year younger than Mama.) How fabulous the Grand Ole Opry was, with Porter Wagoner up on the stage.
I spoke of wanting to go to that part of Tennessee, but mostly my yen for Memphis and Graceland. I definitely want to go see Elvis' place!
He told me he still had that tape I had given him of Elvis' first real movie, "Loving You". He had wanted to see it, as it was fairly close to being a bio of the singer, but it rarely played on the movie channels.
I'm glad to know Willie still regards it so highly.
(smile)
I can't think of a better way to have spent those three hours tonight.
i thank You, God.




No comments: