Thursday, June 22, 2017

off to see the wizard!


"Witch wizard?"

There were witches, but he was not one.

"Witches like in "POTC: DMTNT" ?"

That wasn't a witch, but a horologist.

"Witches like in "KA: LOTS" ?"

No, that wasn't a witch, but a mage.

"Then, you mean like Merlin in "T: TLK", right?"

Merlin was a wizard, but wrong timeframe.

"Then, which wizard?"

Why, "The Wizard of Oz", of course!

"Of course!"

This 1939 film has marked a fitting end for my first month of my Summer Kid Film Festival.

"Very nice! What a nice magnet you have! I like the trio of Christmas ornaments, too, and the quartet of buttons."

Thanks, those were all garnered from Barbara's vacation trip!
I bought them, and this snazzy t-shirt, on that day I walked up, solo, into Beech Mountain.
As you know, I have a longstanding affection for this tale of Dorothy and her boon companions in their battle against tyranny.
I last saw the film version back in 2015, at that year's SKFF.
But I've also gone to other events centered on that bewitching tale!


Earlier that same year, my beloved local improv troupe celebrated their fifth anniversary at Muse Arts Warehouse, and they did so with their special rendition, based on the original story in the 1900 book.
Near the end of 2015, my volunteer work at the Lucas Theatre granted me the distinct privilege of hearing Dorothy's first song, as performed by Velvet Caravan with ballet accompaniment. Enchanting!
2016 brought me more encounters with the tale! A very talented local ballet theatre brought their vision of the show... and I was in the company of my first niece! She had also been instilled by her Grammy with the love of the story! So very nice to have experienced that with her!
Then, last July, I had two events that were Oz-related! First, the Savannah Stage Company gave me the musical play, but with a modern hue and red sneakers. LOL!
The other July sighting was in a totally unrelated film... but I'm still counting it! The squirrel mistress had thrown a party for the fourth in the "Sharknado" series... and the Wicked Witch made an appearance. Hahahaha! She even got smushed by a house!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Two of the three Christmas ornaments will be given to Christina tomorrow at the 40th birthday party her little sister, Chelsea, is hosting.
The collection of four pins will go to her as well.
Plus, I have found the absolute perfect birthday card for her!
I'm sure Mama helped lead me to it... it's just so perfect!
Thanks, Mama.
with my love always...