Tuesday, April 3, 2018

hat trick, with a side of romance

First, both movies were directed by Scott Speer.
I had not been aware of that when I bought my tickets this afternoon.

Second, both movies had Rob Riggle as the father of at least one teenager.
I had not been aware of that, either, as was quite surprised when he appeared in the later film.

Third, both movies had Austin Obiajunwa as a jock jerk.
I most certainly had not known that until his recognizable mug showed up again!

Of what two movies do I speak?
Well, this was another Kevinless Tuesday, as they have been for quite some time.
(smile)
So I again treated myself to movies I know he would NEVER have agreed to see.
Yes, both were romances, as they were on a Tuesday in February.
That would have been February 20th. I had paired "Fifty Shades Freed" with "The Shape Of Water" on that outing. The first of that duo hardly qualified as a romance to me; the couple spent so much time playing head games with each other, deliberately antagonizing the other so as to have make-up sex after. Ugh.
Foreigner's song should have been the couples' first dance song at their wedding.
Life is too short for that nonsense.
I'm so glad I had paired it with that modern fairytale I so adore!

Of what two movies do I speak?
Did I not already name them?... I see that I did not.
Well, they were "Status Update" and "Midnight Sun"! Both were teeny-bop romances, both had the same three aforementioned actors, and both featured singing by one or both heartthrobs.
I hadn't expected that. What a nice surprise!
The first one was quite a comedy, too! The surfer dude had been uprooted from his rootless Dad and moved across country. Even worse, he was set into a new high school, where ice hockey was the major sport, for his senior year. Ugh. Then he meets a girl, joins the Glee Club, gets his phone smashed by the major hockey slammer, and heads to the mall on his skateboard for a new one. That is when things get cookin'! The new phone is hooked up with the "Universe" app! Life not going as he wants? Hit up the status line with how life should be and boom! There it is! Hilarity ensued, of course, since the kid didn't know how to narrowly, and specifically, frame his requests.
Here's an example. He was trying out for the Glee Club and typed that he "was professionally trained" as a singer. Sure thing, buddy! The Universe complied by having the voice of an opera diva come out of his mouth - hahaha!
I would definitely see this again!
"Midnight Sun", though, was a romance destined to crash and burn, like that of "The Fault In Our Stars". The girl was essentially allergic to sunlight, only able to come out at night. Of course she didn't tell that to the boy! She wanted him to think she was a normal person. It's just that she was always busy during the day and could only come out after the sun set.
She really should have told him. He took her on a fabulous night out, riding the train to the big city, going to her first-ever concert! Then they went to the lake and cuddled at its edge, snuggling. That's where the first rays of dawn found them, sending her into a panic and throwing her body into a downward spiral.
Perhaps I should have seen "Love, Simon" instead... or after...
but that will wait for another Tuesday.
(smile)

No comments: