Friday, April 13, 2018

flirted, feted, feasted, and fooled


My final day of volunteering this year at the
29th Savannah Music Festival was at one of my
favorites: the noon30 concerts at the Morris Center.
I enjoy them because they are the least raucous -
no one has had time to get drunk yet, n'est-ce pas?
They are also more relaxed, generally.
Today's Brazilian pianist would agree!
Jovino Santos Neto came out in a plain blue shirt,
long sleeves rolled up at the cuffs.
All of the pieces were from his country save one:
a dreamy, lilting Beatles' number called "Blackbird".
That was my favorite, for sure!
Here I am, dancing in the hall by the loos.
Guess what? Those orchids are real!!!
I do so wish that mine would bloom like that!
I flirted with the beauties in the mirror
while I enjoyed the acoustics in that space.

Two hours after that shift, I was at the American
Red Cross Center where I was feted -
along with a roomful of others -
at their annual awards event.
Oh, had you not known there was such a thing?
Well, neither had I!
Do you know why I was invited to this shindig?
I made FIVE donations of whole blood last year.
That's two and a half quarts, y'all!
No wonder they wanted to give me my very own Oscar!
(smile)
All those other goodies?
I won them fair and square in the movie trivia
contest while we ate fried chicken and grilled
chicken salad and fruit and cake.
The emcee would utter a quote and the first to answer correctly would win a prize.
I only did that twice, honestly.
I knew I had an unfair advantage over the other players in the house, as I've blogged movie quotes here... and here... and here... and also here... and here... and finally right here.
(smile)
Looks like I'll need to do some more of those -
it's been three years since that last post!
One more thing: I also won a cool tote bag in the raffle!
That was very handy for hauling all of my goodies and my award, as well as a helping of that delicious salad - from Texas Roadhouse -for tomorrow's lunch.
(smile)

Two hours later, I was a little farther down the road,
at the Carey Hilliard's on Abercorn.
My youngest brother was being allowed a special pass
from the CTC to attend the appreciation dinner
that Delta Metals holds several times a year...
and I was invited by him as his "plus one"!
This angel across the expanse of blue caught my eye:
right place, right time.
i thank You, God!
I was blessed to meet his boss, Scott, right away.
Then, we sat with his supervisor, Zeke, there with his wife and son, as well as with two of Tony's coworkers, Cory and Chad. Jim and Leslie, a couple closer to my age, rounded out the table nicely.
Several of the folks lauded there tonight have been with Delta Metals for more than thirty years!
i thank You, God, that Tony works with these people.

After I returned Tony to the CTC, I bounced back to midtown,
as I had already arranged to meet with Barbara, Sandy, and Carolyn at the Spotlight for "The Death of Stalin".
I am amazed I arrived on time for it!
As for the movie, it was not the satire I had expected.
Sure, there were comedic moments, as you would expect from the presence of Steve Buscemi and Jeffrey Tambor...
but this was actually a history lesson about Nikita Khruschev's
rise to power.
The advertisers sure fooled me!
At night's end, my odometer read 195320 when I arrived safely home again, in my driveway.
I had assuredly been in the right place, right time all of this day,
while I flirted with flora...
and was feted by the Red Cross...
and feasted alongside my brother...
and was fooled beside my g'friends.

I am so very blessed...
and so very loved...
i thank You, God.

No comments: