Sunday, April 29, 2018

of mice and men



It all began with the Arts and Music program at church today.
This is always one of my very favorite services!
No need to try to find it on the Asbury Memorial website... these don't get posted.
If you snooze, you lose!
But I was there to hear Samuel Povie wailing on the saxophone to "How Great Thou Art"! That song had me anticipating my upcoming trip to Las Vegas for Elvis Week, especially that Gospel Sunday concert. Hallelujah!
(But he is not a mouse or a man, so let's continue.)
I was there, too, to hear his big sister, Sarah, with her heartfelt cello rendition of "Be Still My Soul"! I'm glad Reverend Billy Hester took the time beforehand to read aloud - in English - the 300-year-old poem, "Stille, mein Wille!".
(But no mice here, and that man is not one of the five men of the title.)
Much as I enjoyed the above pieces, my heart was touched by a father-son duet of "Somewhere Out There" - a little off-key, but very sweetly done. Mom was turning the pages of the sheet music while grandmom played the piano, so it was a real family affair. I sang along, of course - and even shed a few tears, as I do when I hear it.
After all, the song is about loss within a family. Fievel and his sister Tanya are simultaneously singing it, in the moonlight, each hopeful they will one day be reunited. The Mousekewitz family had been traveling to New York when Fievel had been washed off the boat, but the sister never gave up hope of seeing her brother again.
Sure, the song may be sung by two mice, but it may as well be about me and my brother Ronnie, or me and my brother Tony.
(Fortunately, my brother Smitty and I see each other fairly often.)
While talking with Billy's mom after the service, I was swapping movie thoughts with Eric Miller. He's the landscaper that's doen a bit of work around the church and for various members. Nice fellow!
After I received my post-service hug from Billy, I headed to the community room for cookies. Who should I espy with my little eye but my dear friend Bill Peterson! Sadly, his house has finally sold and he will soon be heading for Chico, Cali-for-ni-a, soon being May 10th. I sure am going to miss baseball games with that artist!
(Yes, he is one of the five men.)


Speaking of baseball, one of the law firms in town was having Family Fun Day at Grayson Stadium, so I headed there after church. I had expected food trucks, but there were none. A few kids were throwing a basketball around on the field. Others played in the bounce houses, tried to play chess, or concentrated on pulling off blocks in Giant Jenga.
I settled at one of the picnic tables to bask in the sun... then I noticed the beer loft. What was newly emblazoned there?
Welcome to the optimzone - seriously?
Did Optim Heathcare not get the irony?
How on Earth did a Savannah Bananas sales person talk that orthopedic firm into promoting the consumption of beer and hard liquor at the baseball games?
I guess that's one way for those doctors to drum up more business, by encouraging drunks to be falling down those stairs!
Of course I had to text Jeff the ex about that! I knew he would get it!
While I had my phone out, Mister Willie called. He'd been watching a baseball game and suddenly thought that I needed him to call me. Funny how things work out, because I had, indeed, been thinking of him while I looked at that grassy green outfield and red clay infield! We have plans to meet on Wednesday so I can give him the games calendar I made for him.
(That takes care of the second and third men of the title. Two to go!)


This piece of art was part of the International Student Climate Art Project (ISCAP) display of local talent at my church. I was so impressed by the diversity of the works! Many were crafted from recycled materials; others, like this one, were from the minds of teens. I was glad to see that they are paying attention to global warming!
The reference to the Whitesnake song brought to mind the psychologist, of course! Something must have cued him to contact me a little later. His raison du jour was to pick my brain about plays in the area, as it was time for him to take Cedric (his oh-so-patient tutor) out for some entertainment. I recommended two and will be curious which one they attend!
(One more of my men, bringing the total to four for the day.)


So what's up with this lass with the lasso and the Mona Lisa smile?
Well, I first met this cowgirl at Longhorn's, on a January night.
The bfe and I had gone to dinner there and I had created a history of her, this gal from the southwest, standing over us as we dined.
She came to mind because... well, because the very next text I got this evening was from the physicist! He wanted to know about us having a meal together this week. Major coolness! Lunch on Friday! Who knows? Maybe I'll even see this chica again!
(And this concludes my encounters with mice and five men of my life!)
(smile)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Before I forget yet again - Pat Prokop ad made a video of the children's artwork.
Here is that link! Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBGLD5E2ISA&feature=youtu.be