Thursday, January 31, 2019

who knew?

Who knew about the all-female EMT group in New York City, created specifically to service the Hasidic women there?
But I know, now that I've seen the documentary "93Queen".

Who knew about the theatrical troupe which consists of autistic actors and highlights the education of the public about specific problems in everyday life?
But I know, now that I've seen "Keep The Change", a romantic comedy.
Patti Victor, of the Matthew Reardon Center for Autism here in Savannah, was there for a question and answer session. The film dealt with adults with autism, whereas the Center is only for children. Still, very informative!
Also, I want to commend Samantha Elisofon, a member of E.P.I.C. Players. Not only is she a talented young woman who is a fearless actor, but she also sings very well.

Who knew about the diverse responses possible from folk in a small town when two men in black arrive on the train with just two trunks?
But I know, now that I've seen "1945", black-and-white film, set in post-WWII Hungary, full of rich imagery.

Who knew about the hardship suffered when a youngster is washed overboard during a trans-Atlantic trip and separated from his family?
But I know and remember, now that I've (again) seen "An American Tail", an animated tale voiced by Dom DeLuise and Madeline Kahn, both now gone.

Who knew about the rules and regulations which refugees must follow in order to remain in a safe haven country?
But I know, now that I've seen "This Is Home: A Refugee Story". The documentary followed four Syrian families over an eight-month period, as they strove to build new lives in Baltimore. Afterward, Lauren of Lutheran Services of Georgia (now Inspiritus) was available for a question and answer session, as was a refuge from Afghanistan who has relocated to Savannah. Very informative!

Who knew about the troubles two brothers would suffer on their journey to be reunited with their two older brothers and parents?
But I know, now that I've seen "A Bag Of Marbles", aka "Un Sac De Billes". The French movie may not have brought any new knowledge to me, but it was filled with sibling love.

Who knew about the Spanish Jews that have lived in Mexico and its territories (which include the present-day southwestern USA) for more than five hundred years?
But I know, now that I've seen "Challah Rising In The Desert", a documentary set in New Mexico, about people who fled the Spanish Inquisition, going so far as to change their religious practices in exchange for their lives. I have to wonder if these are the same people now threatened to be separated from their Central American kin by the border wall desired by the blond man in the White House.

My many thanks to The Joan and Murray Gefen Memorial Savannah Jewish Film Festival.
This annual feast of documentaries and movies, begun in 2003, is now in its 17th year.
I am grateful to have had this insight into Jewish culture.
I am even more grateful to have had this event over the past two weeks, to lure me out of my house during these cold times.
i thank You, God.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Here's a nice video for World Refugee Day, about a Syrian woman who became best friends with a Lebanonese woman.
https://www.kiva.org/blog/these-best-friends-were-bonded-by-war-and-exile?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-02-13_vday_kc