Sunday, September 8, 2019

hurrication fun

I'd like to claim that new word as one of mine, but it isn't.
"Hurrication" was coined by Kevin and refers to "a period off from work caused by a mandatory evacuation for an approaching hurricane".
I'm sure it was partly inspired by the timing of Dorian with Labor Day weekend.
(smile)

Neither of us left the city.
The governor had placed his order very early, to begin at noon on Labor Day. Schools had closed; folks had been moved to a location deemed safer; and Dorian lingered too long in the Bahamas, apparently getting its groove on... and nearly self-destructing its eye wall from its jamming-out winds.
I had kept both of us apprised of the situation, thanks to my monitoring of NOAA.
Monday had found both of us doing yard work and getting odd looks from our neighbors. Yard work is what you do after a storm, right? Well, usually, but it's also good physical labor for getting out of your head, as you may recall.
My two bags of yard debris went into my shed for safekeeping.
I went in search of... I don't know, something that felt 'normal'.

I found, too!
Nearly everything was open!
Not the American Red Cross center, but that was okay.
The Jalapenos on Abercorn was right there, with my very favorite "relaxing, summertime food"!
That's what I told Edgar as he brought the shrimp ceviche to me.
I even sent this proof of normalcy to the bear... but not one of my mussed-up hair which hadn't yet been brushed for the day.
In my defense, I had expected most places to be closed by evening.
My hair was in order for "Tina Tuesday", which found the two of us getting "Ready Or Not" in Pooler.
What a deliciously funny flick!
Then back to town for the Olive Garden, where I ate every bit of the carbonara chicken and shrimp!
He ate all of his food, too.
It probably helped that we knew Wednesday was to be a day at home.
But Tuesday was definitely all ours!

Thursday morning found me dining on an old favorite: dinner for breakfast!
With danger gone with the wind - just a little joke - I emptied the cooler.
The sausage felt a bit soft, so I cooked it.
Oh! Look, I had some onion, too, and apple slices... and sauerkraut!
A true Brunch of Champions!
Photo to the ex! John in Pooler! Paul in CA and Penny in the FL!
Then it was time to wrest Kevin from his home before he got "twitchy", as he calls it.
Off to the Royal for "Dora And The Lost City of Gold"!
No, really, that's what we saw -
it was quite funny and rather surreal and I loved the Bollywood dance number at the end!
Dinner was served at the Jalapenos close at hand - his suggestion!
He really does know what I like.
(smile)
More of what I like was to come as we returned to Savannah to beat the curfew.
He was driving, naturally, and we were talking about all manner of things, as per usual, with a few surprises thrown in.
Nice to know we still have those, considering how many years we've known each other.
(smile)
Friday found him back to work and nearly all back to 'normal'.
Well, except me.
I felt a bit disoriented and confused about what day it was.
The blood center was still closed.
Drats, what to do?
Well, the bedding could be washed and more yard debris could be bagged, right?
So, that's what I did, having a lovely visit with Nami and then enjoying a relaxing time at home.
Saturday was the first day that felt 'normal' to me.
I'd gotten rid of some old medications at Memorial, then joined Christina and her girls at Chick-Fil-A, where I proceeded to "have it my way".
That's right!
No strawberries in my fruit cup!
Not a single, solitary molecule of
the ester that makes them poisonous for me!
Thanks for the "Red Alert"!
Afterward, it was off to Lake Mayer.
Michael and the twins were already there and waiting for us!
After about two hours of playing in the sun, on swings and slides and things to be climbed, everyone was ready to exchange our shadows for the shade.
What a hot day!
Time for us to return home and sit in the cool for a while!
I had about an hour before Barbara and Carolyn were whisking me off to the wonderful world of... Pooler!
Hahahaha hahaha!
First, we had a rendezvous with the devilishly handsome "Saaho" at the Royal - Bollywood, for real, with eyes that could bewitch and a body for sweet dreams!
More films with Prabhas, please!
Appetites raging, we got as far as the Longhorn - perfect!
Today has found me again at home, sure of which day this is: Sunday.
Glory to God!
Billy gave us a sermon that told of how he and his wife ended up parlaying a copy of a Tedd Browne album into a few thousand dollars off the house they were trying to buy from a local civil rights lawyer, Aaron Buchsbaum, back in 1998.
All because the man had heard the singer, once upon a time, at the restaurant Billy's dad had owned.
I do so enjoy Reverend Hester's stories about connections between diverse people.
It truly is a small world.
As for me, sometimes my taste
buds develop a small range of desired foods.
That's why I deliberately chose Jalapenos of Sandfly for lunch.
My third encounter with shrimp ceviche this week!
Hallelujah!

No comments: