Tuesday, September 17, 2019

plenty of eels, not fish

He repeatedly bemoans the loss of a fish that broke the line and stole the bait.
There are supposedly plenty of fish in that pond, but he keeps ending up with eels.
Slick, slimy eels, with gleaming skin to draw him in...
and sharp teeth to cut free after they have had sufficient free meals from him.
Sure, technically eels are fish, but they have a strong taste not to my liking.
I think maybe the bait he sets out there could be better used.
There's a much better, more respected, virtual lake that may not have plenty of fish...
but will certainly have marine life with his likes and goals and values.
I keep encouraging him to seek a true catch there, but he has not yet.
Perhaps he is not as ready for commitment as he professes to be.
Meanwhile, he does not seem able to partake of the local bounty.
He told me during the hurrication about the fish that jump into his boat in the real world...
fish that he tosses away without even sampling any of their flavors.
No, I take that back.
He did allow himself to be reeled in by one of them, a while back...
but he had not understood about catch and release.
After a while, that fish let him go and swam off, appetite sated.
That one had not been in search of a relationship.
He thinks of every landing as leading to forever...
even though he's dipping his pole into a luckless body of water..
even though he has had more than a double handful of fish from there that got away.
Sigh.
Oh, to be in my thirties again...

1 comment:

faustina said...

Did I mention that he finally, finally, finally took my advice and got set up with eHarmony?
Well, he did, even investing in a year's worth of their expert matchmaking.
As I told him, I know four people who have used that site and all have been married now for almost a decade.
My outlaw Bunny with Steve; my college friend Yvonne with her man (he has an odd name I can't ever recall); my high school friend Josie with Kenny; and my AD friend Penny with Will.
They all started with their fellows when I met Harry there and had been so happy with the result.
My dating failed, but that was not Harry's fault.
I simply realized I was not yet ready for something serious, but her was.
Last I heard, he was happy with a woman he met in church.
Anyway, I do hope Kevin will have success with eHarmony.
Sadly, he still kept bait in the water at plenty-of-fish and has landed another creature.
She's older, with grown kids, and is a prison shrink, so they have that in common at least.
I do wish he'd waited for the other site to set him up.