Sunday, September 22, 2019

watching birds go by

I'm a bird watcher, I'm a bird watcher, watching birds go by...
my, my my!
Yes, I'm feeling a bit heady after a sunny afternoon at the beach!
Such a wonderful time at Tybee with the One Hundred Miles folks!
They hosted a walk and talk titled "Tybee Island Beach Dynamics: Shorebirds, Barrier Islands, and
Sea Level Rise" and now this
1968 pop song is playing on my mental jukebox.
(smile!)

Stephanie Chewning and Abby Sterling led the talk.
Stephanie is from the Brunswick chapter of 100 Miles, the ones who started the group.
Abby, in the blue shirt, is a marine biologist and very knowledgeable about the effects of dredging on water flow around the barrier islands, and how that change led to the coarse sand now on Tybee.
I was the only native Savannahian, so I was the only one who recalled how the beach once was.
(smile)
This was something new, though,
for all of us!
The sign has been in place for less than a month and proclaims Georgia as a member of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network, officially marking us on
the map as a legit pit stop for hungry and tired traveling terns -
and other frequent flyers of those highways in the sky.
(smile)
I'm glad there were so many of us that chose to partake of this lecture today, that chose to be out in the sunshine, feeling the warm sea breeze, listening to the ocean's voice, and learning more about the world around us.
What a perfect, soul-satisfying,
way to spend a summer Sunday!
i thank You, God.

No comments: