Saturday, September 21, 2019

outside my wheelhouse

When the above phrase popped into my head on Friday, I was thinking about the events of that day having been outside my realm of expertise. However, that figurative use of "wheelhouse" is actually a North American idiom.
For the rest of the inhabitants of Earth, "wheelhouse" refers, literally, to the structure surrounding or encasing a wheel, whether it be mounted on a boat for steering or on a vehicle for movement.
On Friday, I had thought of the art show and art film as being at venues outside my usual haunts... and they were, for sure.
However, if I am the wheel and my home is my wheelhouse, than all ventures to the outside world are outside my wheelhouse, are they not?
Moreover, if my spirit is the wheel and my body is its physical encasement, then all of my interactions with tangible matters and intangible philosophies are outside my wheelhouse, correct?
I believe so.
Still, that last bit of conjecture is a mental exercise only, as my spirit and body are inseparable until death.
Perhaps it would be worthy as a topic for Philo Cafe?
(smile)

So, back to Friday, shall we?
I was at an art reception for Matt Toole's works, courtesy of an invite from Genie.
That was unusual, for starters.
The art was also unusual, being composed of recycled goods.
This was my favorite, reminding me of a stripped-down arm holding a baseball bat in position for a swing.
How appropriate that I was wearing my striped baseball-jersey shirt!
(smile)
The art outside was also unusual.
This piece is reminiscent of my trip to the Kennedy Space Center.
Odd, right?
Even so, it was the location of these works that was the oddest part.
They were at the Gallery F.A.R. - the Fine Art of Recycling - at Chatham County's Resource Conservation Education Center.
And is this art exhibit located downtown for tourist consumption?
No, no, no, my dear friends.
This space is right in my neck of the woods and intended for the locals!
Tourists are welcome there, but they are not the target demographic.
We who live here year round are.
This piece, titled "Spring", was created by Melanie Nash, the director's wife.
I love the use of the electronic circuit boards as townscapes!
Part of a series, along with "Fall" and "Summer", she made sure each included a heart.
(smile)

From there, I bopped north for a film, but not at the 'Bean.
Foxy Loxy Cafe was screening "Fiddlin'" in the courtyard - how 'about that for timing?
From folk art to folk music!
I learned that bluegrass, like jazz, features solos by each musician, whereas as folk music does not.
I also learned that Presley Barker was not named for Elvis, but because his mom wanted his name to be unusual.
I guess I can certainly understand that,
as I am a girl named Faustina!
That's better than being a boy named Sue!
Hahahaha hahaha!
What a fabulous Friday evening, including free popcorn for me at the film!
Even though the skies held dark clouds, even the weather was fair, only offering a brief smatter of raindrops at one point during the movie.
Right place, right time.
This odometer reading, 209600, was as I parked at the second event.
How very nice to have one of these special mileages!
i thank You, God!
This morning held more folk-oriented, old-fashioned, entertainment for me!
I'd traveled with Smitty and Mary to the Brooklet for its 30th Annual Peanut Festival.
Wonder of wonders, I'd never been!
The parade featured dune buggies, motorcycles, and pick-up trucks, of course, but also tractors!
That included this granny on an old Ford model, continuing the theme of use-it-and-use-it-again.
Such a wide variety of tractors, too.
Plus, many of the vehicles had music to entertain along the route.
One of the funniest was the outhouse on wheels - complete with someone perched on the john!!
But what I liked were the two guys walking behind it, giving out treats to the kids in the audience.
Candy, bead necklaces, small toys - those unexpected kindnesses are quite magical!
(smile)
After the parade, we followed the crowd to the festival grounds.
So many bounce houses!
So many kiosks with crafts of all kinds and preserved foods of many different types!
For instance, this stall had items benefiting Choices of the Heart, with Braswell's Food Company donating 100% of the sales.
I bought three jars of Pumpkin Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce - doesn't that sound perfectly yummy as a soup?!
Smitty and Mary abstained from that, choosing honey and fruity jams instead.
But we all bought some of these green boiled peanuts!
That was mostly the reason for the drive out here to the country for this day of Americana!
In fact, Smitty had to go ahead and dig in to his big bag of goober peas, so I had a few, too.
Quite tasty!
(smile)
That was while he and she were settin' for a spell around the Randy Newman grandstand.
Me? Well, I was dancing, of course!
How could I be expected to stand in place while listening to good music?
That's exactly what this jazz combo was laying down, too!
Based on Fort Stewart, the octet had started with "Learn To Fly" and enthusiastically soared into "Happy" a few tunes later.
Definitely my kind of music!
The next act, One Voice Trio, reminded me of the Andrews Sisters and were quite good!
Their first song, "Three Little Sisters", talked of "a soldier, a sailor, and a lad in the Marines", so it seemed like something I should have known...
but it was new to me!
Not so for "Chains", a tune I sang along with as I danced.
Then it was time to return to Savannah and life in this seaport.


What a wonderful, sun-soaked Saturday with family!
What fabulous memories and how good to catch up on each others lives!
i thank You, God!
And now?
Well, now, I've had peanuts for my slunch and have dishes to wash.
But I have plans to see "Tangled" at 6, so I better hop to it!
I'm so looking forward to seeing the Snuggly Duckling song and dance again!
Meanwhile, remember to dream big, princess!
(smile)

No comments: